1. Joined
    28 Apr '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 11:51
    I have just read that the moon is moving away from us by about 4cm per year. It is now more than 450,000km away but when formed it was about 22,530km away. Over time what will the effect of this be on the earth?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 12:21
    Originally posted by torchmoon
    I have just read that the moon is moving away from us by about 4cm per year. It is now more than 450,000km away but when formed it was about 22,530km away. Over time what will the effect of this be on the earth?
    Fewer tides.

Conceivably it could throw off the orbit of the Earth sending us into deep space or the Sun, but I doubt it would work like that. That could be calculated but I am too lazy.
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 14:50
    No sun eclipses.
  4. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 18:59
    The moon is (very slowly) stealing earth's rotational energy and using it to raise the moon's orbit. Over time this is tending to make our days a bit longer, and make the moon appear slightly smaller. As Adam W. points out, this will eventually make total solar eclipses impossible.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Jul '07 02:56
    All those love songs will become irrelevant.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 10:36
    Presumably it will eventually cease to be tidally locked and we'll see the other side.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 14:58
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Presumably it will eventually cease to be tidally locked and we'll see the other side.
    http://www.sailormoonavatars.com/moon/emmangasmoon2thumb.jpg
  8. Going where needed.
    Moves
    15 Jul '07 18:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.sailormoonavatars.com/moon/emmangasmoon2thumb.jpg
    Niiiiiice... Not exactly the "back side of the moon" we were aimin for.

(You all are perverts deep down, I know it.)
  9. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 06:112 edits
    At least it wasn't http://www.sailormoonavatars.com/moon/philsmoon2.jpg
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 19:011 edit
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    The moon is (very slowly) stealing earth's rotational energy and using it to raise the moon's orbit. Over time this is tending to make our days a bit longer, and make the moon appear slightly smaller. As Adam W. points out, this will eventually make total solar eclipses impossible.
    Yeah but when?
    One other thing will happen, like Mars, whose tilt can go from almost north south to like east west, that is to say, the north or south pole pointed at the sun. The moon keeps the earth from making major tilts, like ours now at about 23 degrees is about as serious as it can tilt with el luna nearby. Don't forget, tides do more than water. It also lifts and retreats the whole crust a few inches so there is a constant flexing, one effect is earthquakes tend to happen more frequently when the moon is full overhead (most flexing of the crust) So the retreat of the moon would effect weather on earth. However, here is another sub-puzzle: What will happen to the earth way before that?
  11. Going where needed.
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 19:05
    Originally posted by Gastel
    At least it wasn't http://www.sailormoonavatars.com/moon/philsmoon2.jpg
    lmfao...
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 19:07
    Originally posted by EinsteinMind
    lmfao...
    ??
  13. Going where needed.
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 19:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    ??
    just the fact that that pic is so perverted, and the dude in there is such an idiot.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 21:251 edit
    Originally posted by EinsteinMind
    just the fact that that pic is so perverted, and the dude in there is such an idiot.
    It could be one of those things taken out of context, like maybe it's a frat initiation, for instance. You know the asssinine things they do, go around bare butt, carry a scabbord yelling "I'm a mighty Vikin". (heard in real life by me, actually🙂 But back to the puzzle and my sub puzzle:
  15. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 21:50
    Actually the website where this image is used has the caption

Nine as Sailor Moon in a costume he made with his mom.

So there is the context.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree