Moves
    06 Oct '07 18:32
    ?? was googling of any help?😵😲
  3. Joined
    25 Jul '04
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 07:52
    Originally posted by howzzat
    No..not at all..Here is my proof which is much much shorter than the one given in ranjan's post dated 29 th Sept. Borrowing the notations and symbols in that post, the area of the pentagon ABCDE is:-
    w = Ar. of tr.ABC + Ar. of tr. ADE + Ar. of tr. ACD.
    = x + x + (AC/SC)*x. =(2 + c)*x where c = AC/SC..............eqn.(1)
    [AC/SC is the rati ...[text shortened]... and (2) we get 2+c = 3+1/c; hence c = {sqrt(5) +1}/2
    Thus we get the required value of w/x.
    Well done Howzzat. Your solution is far more elegant than the one provided by the poser.
  4. Joined
    25 Jul '04
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 07:563 edits
    Originally posted by ranjan sinha
    Did you google it up to find this out?
    Googling is of no help for finding solutions to puzzles. After seeing this pentagon puzzle here, I found it quite challenging and interesting. I posted this puzzle on a site dedicated to "cutting the Gordian Knot" for the wider mathematical community.
  5. Joined
    25 Jul '04
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 07:592 edits
    Originally posted by HolyT

Speaking of cheating, someone here is trying to find the answer by posting it in another forum: http://www.cut-the-knot.org/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID6/648.shtml
    No cheating.. See the post above. I posted this puzzle on that site with a view to expose it to a wider interested audience.
  6. at the centre
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 11:40
    Originally posted by sarathian
    Well done Howzzat. Your solution is far more elegant than the one provided by the poser.
    thx for the compliments ..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree