1. Joined
    29 Nov '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 23:271 edit
    Thread is racing by too fast, and problems are getting sloppy.

Suggestion: let the first to solve have 2 hours grace time to compose something interesting. After that period expires, we return to the free-for-all...

Do I hear a second?
    Anybody opposed?
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 23:35
    Originally posted by sdrawkcab

Suggestion: let the first to solve have 2 hours grace time to compose something interesting. After that period expires, we return to the free-for-all...

Do I hear a second?
    Anybody opposed?
    It's my fault. Excuse me. I like the rule having to compose something immediately - the solving is not much of a problem, but you have to combine it "quickly" with a clean composition as well.
  3. e4
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 23:35

Do I hear a second?
    Anybody opposed?
    Yes - but 1 hour.

Solver posts solution and current time he then has one hour.
    I'm enjoying this thread. don't want to wait 2 hours.

Also - someone spun the board 180 degrees do we not have to
    spin it back again so h1 on the bottom left?
  4. Joined
    29 Nov '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 23:571 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Yes - but 1 hour.

Solver posts solution and current time he then has one hour.
    I'm enjoying this thread. don't want to wait 2 hours.

Also - someone spun the board 180 degrees do we not have to
    spin it back again so h1 on the bottom left?
    It's nobody's fault -- this thread just moves too fast, because it is so much fun. With only MINUTES to solve and compose something, we can expect things to deteriorate.

As for one hour delay, that's acceptable (first solver to post time, in Eastern Time Zone -- NY, will be given an hour grace period).

There is an alternative...
    Two threads, one features only the accepted twin, the other allows people to post their composition on the latest accepted problem, comment on other problems, and vote on their favorite...

After some method of judging, or voting, each day (week?), the new problem goes up, and we begin again.

Edit: essentially, this becomes a permanently ongoing, rapid composing contest... just a question of judging.

I'd volutneer to judge (I have a US Master title in composition), but only if this were done on a weekly basis, and only one entry per composer.
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 00:002 edits

Edit: essentially, this becomes a permanently ongoing, rapid composing contest... just a question of judging.

I'd volunteer to judge (I have a US Master title in composition), but only if this were done on a weekly basis, and only one entry per composer.
    I think the one hour limit is excellent; one just posts a message including the solution; then he has one hour to add a somewhat sound composition via the "edit" button.

About the edit: yes, I see what you are heading at. That would be a nice thing, perhaps we should run it in the problemists club; in the meanwhile we just mooch here with no real requirements to the positions, which is just a good way of throwing away our time as well.
  6. Joined
    29 Nov '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 00:07
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    I think the one hour limit is excellent; one just posts a message including the solution; then he has one hour to add a somewhat sound composition via the "edit" button.
    OK, without objection, 1 hour grace period in this thread.

If people are interested in a moderated version of this thread, with weekly judgement, send me a message; if there's interest, I'll organize it...

Somebody please repost the last problem, and let's get back to the fun!
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 00:10

8. Joined
    29 Nov '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 05:473 edits
    1.Rc4! [>2.Kf2 etc] ...K×e3 2.Bd5 ...Kd3 3.Kf2 ...Kd2 4.Be4 ...Kd1 5.Ke3 ...Ke1 6.Rc1#

Change the wBishop to a wPawn.

h#2

a) Circe
    b) Circe Antipoden
    c) Circe Equipollent
    d) Circe Symmetric
    e) Circe Parrain #2 (directmate in 2)

rules for circe:

Retro Corner (http://www.janko.at/Retros/Glossary/Circe.htm) and Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circe_chess) have rules...

Circe Chess allows captured units to rebirth back into the game, according to specific rules of rebirth.

Note that no rebirth occurs if the rebirth square is occupied (annihilation takes place in these cases).

a) Circe

Captured units are immediately reborn onto their home square (square they started at in the initial game array). For Bishops, Rooks and Knights the rebirth is the home square with the same color as the capture square (e.g., if wRook could be captured on c2, light square, it would be reborn instantly on h1 -- and castling would be possible) . For Pawns, it is the home square on the same file as the file of capture.

E.g. White captures:
    bPa4 -> [+bPa7],
    bPa5 -> [+bPa7],
    bRa6 -> [+bRa8]
    bRa7 -> [+bRh8]
    bNa8 -> [+bNg8]

b) Circe Antipoden

Captured units are immediately reborn (4,4) away from the capture square -- which is always unique (four files, and four ranks away). If wRc2 could be captured, it would be reborn on g6.

c) Circe Equipollent

Captured units are immediately reborn equipollent (same distance and direction) to the capturing move. If bBc2 took wQb3, the wQ would be immediately reborn on a4. If wQa4 took bRe4, annihilation occurs because the rebirth square is off the board.

d) Circe Symmetric

Like circe, but the rebirth square is the capture square mirrored across the point in the center of the board. So, if wR could be captured on c2, the rebirth would be f7.

e) Circe Parrain

Like Equipollents Circe, but the following move (not the capturing move) determines rebrith one move after capture.
    So, if black captures wNe3, and white follows Kd1 -> [+wNd3], if white follows with Kf1 [no rebirth, occupied f3 = annihilated wKnight], if white follows with Re2 -> [+wNg3], if white follows with Rg3 [rebirth off board = annihilated wKnight].
  9. Joined
    29 Nov '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 06:563 edits
    Since few are probably accustomed to solving circe problems, I will give the solutions, and move along with another problem...

a) Circe

1.Kxe3 [+wNg1] ...Ne2 2.Kd3 ...Rc3#

b) Circe Antipoden

1.Kxe3 [+wNa7] ...Nb5 2.Kd3 ...Rc3#

c) Circe Equipollent

1.Kd4 ...Nf5 2.Kd3 ...Rc3# -- (3.Kxc3 [+wRd3]?? illegal self-check!)

d) Circe Symmetric

1.Kxe3 [+wNd6] ...Nb5 2.Kd3 ...Rc3#

e) Circe Parrain #2 (directmate in 2)

1.Rc4! (zz) ...Kxe3 2.Rc3 [+wNe2]#

Next problem...

Returning to wBf3 version...
    move wRc2->a1, add bBd6, then series helpmate in 6 (2 solutions -- find both!)

ser.h#6 - 2 solutions - (find both!)

black plays a series of 6 moves (legal moves, any check to wK would end series prematurely), so that white can checkmate the bK in one move after the series concludes.
  10. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 15:05
    1 hour waiting time is acceptable. You post a solution, then get an hour to post your composition. I do not like the judging idea, cos it puts people on the spot, and may make beginner composers shy away. Some extra points then:
    1) Everyone's composition is welcome, including yours!
    2) Because everyone's composition is welcome, don't make it seem otherwise by speaking derisively about others composition. If someone posts something that's really atrocious, and is a technically illegal position, and they've made 7 changes for it to happen, and they've posted it as a mate in 4 when there's a mate in 1, don't point any of this out. Just show the mate in 1 as a solution, and move on.
    3) Stick to your hour.
    4) If someone doesn't stick to their hour, wait a couple of minutes, then you may post your own composition instead.

Glad you're all having fun, and don't want to change any of that. Hopefully we can work well with this hour rule thing 🙂
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 17:271 edit
    [fen]8/8/3b4/8/8/3kNB2/8/R3K3[/fen]
    ser.h#6 - 2 solutions - (find both!)
    5.Kb8 6.Bc7 Ra8#
    1.Kxe3 5.Kg1 6.Bh2 Ke2# [Black does not take the wB, of course...]
  12. Joined
    29 Nov '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 17:27
    doodinthemood said:
    I do not like the judging idea, cos it puts people on the spot, and may make beginner composers shy away.

Your feedback is noted, but should have been sent in private message (along with others), if at all -- after all, I did say that those interested should message me... Furthermore, notice that I explicitly stated this would take place in a seperate thread -- if you want to discuss this matter further, I would suggest you contact me outside of this thread.

Furthermore, last I checked, this is a public thread.
    You seem to imply that you've "ruled" acceptable something already the majority of us have already decided here (1 hour is acceptable... [conditions edited]).

I have made it clear that newcomers are welcome, as have others.
    To whom are you addressing when you suggest otherwise?

Frankly, I find your attempts to impose rules (you may this, you may not that...) on a public thread, most unwelcome.

I will make appropriate comments on compositions, regardless how this may sit with you, and I encourage others to do the same. I will both encourage good efforts, and point out flaws, as I deem beneficial.

I'd be happy to listen to your views, and discuss them -- I prefer to remove such discussion from this thread, but if you believe an interruption is necessary here, I certainly would not attempt to disallow your voice.

In some 40 posts, I have observed NOBODY say ANYTHING "derisive."

If you take comments about good/bad features of a problem too personally, I certainly sympathize.

But, how do you expect to improve?
    Why do you believe you have the right to block (or attempt to block) feedback from reaching other composers?

It is my understanding that this is a public thread, and members of the thread are free to decide what they deem acceptable.

If you have ownership of this thread, let me know, -- I'll just go start my own thread.
  13. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 17:54
    I didn't want comments in case people shy away, is all. I wasn't going to 'impose' anything above, They were just guidelines that I really think people should stick by in order to get this to work and be enjoyed by everyone.

Never mind, I'll leave it. Hope you guys all have fun.
  14. Joined
    29 Nov '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 18:28
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    I didn't want comments in case people shy away, is all. I wasn't going to 'impose' anything above, They were just guidelines that I really think people should stick by in order to get this to work and be enjoyed by everyone.

Never mind, I'll leave it. Hope you guys all have fun.
    OK, fair enough... please understand, your guidelines came across (at least to me) as rules -- simple miscommunication.
    Also, I didn't appreciate what seemed an insinuation that somebody was making "derisive" comments.

It has been very respectful, and everybody understands that a masterpiece is seldom composed in one hour (In fact, the level of problems has been quite good, considering).

I even noticed one of my problems began with a knight on the wrong square -- which resulted in more changes than I would have wanted. I even sought a retro-patch for this, but didn't have much luck. Flaws will happen. That being said, a few flaws require occasional comment -- particularly, checking keys and flight taking keys in directmates... Also, good problems will be checked for anticipation (previously published problems with an uncanny likeness), should the issue arise.

Every problem journal I know contains such comments. In my experience, such comments are always respectful and welcomed (I regard suggestions for improvement, and praise for good effort, to be vital).

Lastly, let me say that I hope your final comment is not an indication that you're now leaving this thread. You've been a good contributor, and I probably speak for everybody when I say that I hope you'll stay with us.
  15. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 08:131 edit
    I think the rule is: don't worry be happy.

Castle Queenside, move the Black King to c3, remove the Black Bishop and swap White's Knight and Bishop:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree