Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    04 Jun '07 19:26
    You have an empty glass in one hand, the faucet knob in the other. The faucet is not turned on.

If someone was timing you, how could you fill the glass the fastest? (assume it would fill without foaming so you can turn it on full blast)

Would you lift the glass up and down? Does it make any difference?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    04 Jun '07 19:27
    Makes no difference since the glass won't overflow. The overflowing part is the hard part.
  3. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    04 Jun '07 19:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Makes no difference since the glass won't overflow. The overflowing part is the hard part.
    ok, but you haven't stated how you would fill it the fastest
  4. Standard member agryson
    AGW Hitman
    04 Jun '07 20:14
    Guinness time, tilt it 45 degrees to prevent backsplash and tilt to vertical as it fills with the knob on full. (the glass under the tap of course)
  5. 04 Jun '07 22:19
    tilt it 45 degrees to prevent backsplash and tilt to vertical as it fills

Makes sense - use a cycloidal path to make the water's descent fastest.
  6. Standard member agryson
    AGW Hitman
    04 Jun '07 22:26
    Guinness physics. It can't be beat.
  7. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    04 Jun '07 22:27
    it sounds to stressful

i would cry
  8. Standard member agryson
    AGW Hitman
    04 Jun '07 22:29
    ?
  9. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    04 Jun '07 23:20
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    05 Jun '07 03:52
    Originally posted by uzless
    ok, but you haven't stated how you would fill it the fastest
    I'd turn on the faucet and put the glass under it...

11. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    05 Jun '07 04:29
    sounds good to me..you guys waste time thinking of the fastest way by then you could of done it just like normal...
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    05 Jun '07 05:40
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    sounds good to me..you guys waste time thinking of the fastest way by then you could of done it just like normal...
    That IS the fastest way!
  13. Standard member agryson
    AGW Hitman
    05 Jun '07 06:32
    Well, actually, if we waste time thinking of it now, we can save lots of time (and water, beer, etc.) later on. That's the point. Worked in pub for nearly a year, trust me, whether it's water or beer, if you want to pour it fast you have to have the glass tilted sharply against the tap and bring it down and to the vertical as it fills to prevent spill.
    From the side, the centre of gravity appears as a cycloid. It also minimises agitation inside the glass so that if the drink is fizzy you don't end up with 20% liquid and 80% foam.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    05 Jun '07 07:13
    Originally posted by agryson
    Well, actually, if we waste time thinking of it now, we can save lots of time (and water, beer, etc.) later on. That's the point. Worked in pub for nearly a year, trust me, whether it's water or beer, if you want to pour it fast you have to have the glass tilted sharply against the tap and bring it down and to the vertical as it fills to prevent spill.
    Fro ...[text shortened]... inside the glass so that if the drink is fizzy you don't end up with 20% liquid and 80% foam.
    The water cannot spill out in this hypothetical scenario. Therefore thinking about it makes absolutely no difference.
  15. 05 Jun '07 10:29
    as the water cannot spill, any water entering will count towards filling the glass. The speed of the water will not change whatever you do, and so filling it normally is just as fast as any other way.