Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    04 Jun '07 19:26
    You have an empty glass in one hand, the faucet knob in the other. The faucet is not turned on.

    If someone was timing you, how could you fill the glass the fastest? (assume it would fill without foaming so you can turn it on full blast)

    Would you lift the glass up and down? Does it make any difference?
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    04 Jun '07 19:27
    Makes no difference since the glass won't overflow. The overflowing part is the hard part.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    04 Jun '07 19:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Makes no difference since the glass won't overflow. The overflowing part is the hard part.
    ok, but you haven't stated how you would fill it the fastest
  4. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    04 Jun '07 20:14
    Guinness time, tilt it 45 degrees to prevent backsplash and tilt to vertical as it fills with the knob on full. (the glass under the tap of course)
  5. In Christ
    Joined
    30 Apr '07
    Moves
    172
    04 Jun '07 22:19
    tilt it 45 degrees to prevent backsplash and tilt to vertical as it fills

    Makes sense - use a cycloidal path to make the water's descent fastest.
  6. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    04 Jun '07 22:26
    Guinness physics. It can't be beat.
  7. Standard memberirontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    A Stapler!
    Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    59283
    04 Jun '07 22:27
    it sounds to stressful

    i would cry
  8. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    04 Jun '07 22:29
    ?
  9. Standard memberirontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    A Stapler!
    Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    59283
    04 Jun '07 23:20
    😛
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    05 Jun '07 03:52
    Originally posted by uzless
    ok, but you haven't stated how you would fill it the fastest
    I'd turn on the faucet and put the glass under it...

    😕
  11. Standard memberirontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    A Stapler!
    Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    59283
    05 Jun '07 04:29
    sounds good to me..you guys waste time thinking of the fastest way by then you could of done it just like normal...
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    05 Jun '07 05:40
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    sounds good to me..you guys waste time thinking of the fastest way by then you could of done it just like normal...
    That IS the fastest way!
  13. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    05 Jun '07 06:32
    Well, actually, if we waste time thinking of it now, we can save lots of time (and water, beer, etc.) later on. That's the point. Worked in pub for nearly a year, trust me, whether it's water or beer, if you want to pour it fast you have to have the glass tilted sharply against the tap and bring it down and to the vertical as it fills to prevent spill.
    From the side, the centre of gravity appears as a cycloid. It also minimises agitation inside the glass so that if the drink is fizzy you don't end up with 20% liquid and 80% foam.
  14. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    05 Jun '07 07:13
    Originally posted by agryson
    Well, actually, if we waste time thinking of it now, we can save lots of time (and water, beer, etc.) later on. That's the point. Worked in pub for nearly a year, trust me, whether it's water or beer, if you want to pour it fast you have to have the glass tilted sharply against the tap and bring it down and to the vertical as it fills to prevent spill.
    Fro ...[text shortened]... inside the glass so that if the drink is fizzy you don't end up with 20% liquid and 80% foam.
    The water cannot spill out in this hypothetical scenario. Therefore thinking about it makes absolutely no difference.
  15. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    696
    05 Jun '07 10:29
    as the water cannot spill, any water entering will count towards filling the glass. The speed of the water will not change whatever you do, and so filling it normally is just as fast as any other way.
Back to Top