1. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    18 Jul '03 17:472 edits
    As I am at my wits end trying to figure out the 2 switch problem, I thought I'd post one of my own. Can't remember where I got this from but it is one of my favourites...

A man has three sons. He lines them up so that the eldest (and tallest) is at the back looking down on the middle son, who in turn, is looking down on the youngest (and smallest) son. He then tells them that he has three blue caps and two red caps and that he is going to choose three of the five hats and place one of each of their heads such that the tallest son can see the colour of both the other sons' hats, the middle son can see the colour of the smallest son's hat but the smallest son cannot see anyone's hat. He then asks all three sons at once if any of them can tell him what colour cap they are wearing. After a little thought, the smallest son tells him correctly what colour he his wearing. What colour was it?

2. Copenhagen
    Moves
    18 Jul '03 19:21
    Originally posted by Chrismo
    As I am at my wits end trying to figure out the 2 switch problem, I thought I'd post one of my own. Can't remember where I got this from but it is one of my favourites...

A man has three sons. He lines them up so that the eldest (and tallest) is at the back looking down on the middle son, who in turn, is looking down on the youngest (and smallest) son ...[text shortened]... ought, the smallest son tells him correctly what colour he his wearing. What colour was it?

Blue....
    If the youngest and the middle son both are wearing red caps, the old one would know that he has a blue cap.
    Cause the old one doesn't come with an answer of which cap he is wearing, the middle and the youngest son, know that they have two blue caps or a red and a blue cap.
    So if the middle son could see a red cap on the young boy, he would know he had a blue cap. But if he sees a blue cap, he can't decide which colour his own cap is.
    When he neither come with an answer, the youngest boy can conclude his cap is blue, cause if is was red, one of the others would already have answered.
  3. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '03 05:37
    a similar problem which i remember reading goes like this:
    a blind man and two blindfolded men are presented with a box of five rings, three silver and two gold. each removes a ring and places it on his head. no one knows what his ring is composed of.
    the first blindfolded man removes his blindfold and states that he does not know what the composition of his ring is, then replaces his blindfold. the other blindfolded man does and says likewise.
    the blind man speaks up and says, "from what you have told me, i know what metal my ring is made of.," and states so.
    the answer is obvious, of course.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree