1. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '04 20:19
    Originally posted by The Plumber
    What happens if the minute hand and hour hand move continuously, and not in discrete increments?
    In fact, that was the intended meaning of the puzzle.

2. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '04 15:412 edits
    In that case, I believe both your probabilities are zero. There are an infinite number of positions of the hands (because they move smoothly) and a finite number (c) of those hand positions will be isoceles or right angled triangles, therefore the probability that the clock is in one of those positions when you look at it is

c/infinity = 0.
  3. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    13 Nov '04 17:54
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    In that case, I believe both your probabilities are zero. There are an infinite number of positions of the hands (because they move smoothly) and a finite number (c) of those hand positions will be isoceles or right angled triangles, therefore the probability that the clock is in one of those positions when you look at it is

c/infinity = 0.
    Except that THUDandBLUNDER said, 'given that the triangle has integer length sides', so there are problems defining the relevant random variables.
  4. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    14 Nov '04 03:27

Acolyte, your answer for 3rd part is partly right.

5. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    14 Nov '04 12:361 edit
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER

Acolyte, your answer for 3rd part is partly right.

Well, the numerator is 2 🙂

Anyway, parts (i) and (ii) are easy.
  6. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    14 Nov '04 15:09
    Here's a good one:
    Given a normal clock, where the second hand moves in full seconds, the minute hand in 60/th of a minute etc. If the hour hand is 3 cm long, and the minute hand is 4 cm long, at how many times during 12 hours are the tips of the hands separated exactly by an integral number of cm?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree