1. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 02:011 edit
    If you're at a loose end one evening and wish to pass some time, set up a chessboard and simply do the following, either alone or with the aid of a friend:

Play just 3 moves into a game (each side). Put the pieces back onto their starting squares again and play another 3 moves into a different game. Repeat until you have made all the possible combinations of moves, reaching all positions.

If you find that doesn't kill sufficient time, try it again using 4 moves...
  2. Earth Prime
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 02:16
    One move is enough for me
  3. Joined
    07 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 03:42
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    If you're at a loose end one evening and wish to pass some time, set up a chessboard and simply do the following, either alone or with the aid of a friend:

Play just 3 moves into a game (each side). Put the pieces back onto their starting squares again and play another 3 moves into a different game. Repeat until you have made all the possible combination ...[text shortened]... all positions.

you can do that here. analyze board and move pieces.
  4. back in business
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 11:30

Play just 3 moves into a game (each side). Put the pieces back onto their starting squares again and play another 3 moves into a different game. Repeat until you have made all the possible combinations of moves, reaching all positions.

hmm that would take years i guess. i have not so much freetime to kill
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '05 11:41

Play just 3 moves into a game (each side). Put the pieces back onto their starting squares again and play another 3 moves into a different game. Repeat until you have made all the possible combination ...[text shortened]... all positions.

how about watching tv instead?😴
  6. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '05 15:045 edits
    According to the the link below, there are
    119060324 games ending in exactly 6 plies (about 37 years at 10 secs per position)
    and
    84998978956 games ending in exactly 8 plies (about 27000years at 10 secs per position).

http://www.albert.nu/programs/dperft/main.htm

And there are 2097651003696806 games ending in exactly 11 plies, taking about 665160770 years at 10 secs per position. (To put it another way, this means that we would only just be finishing if we had started when the light now reaching us from your home planet was leaving it!) 😀

Bowmann, the Man Who Fell to Earth! 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree