1. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 17:431 edit
    If I have a pain in my foot, and I have my foot in my shoe, why don't I have a pain in my shoe?
  2. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 17:57
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    If I have a pain in my foot, and I have my foot in my shoe, why don't I have a pain in my shoe?
    But you have ...
  3. Standard membergaurav2711
    walking...
    ...back
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 18:00
    u'r wearing a small size shoe....so there is no room for the pain to be "in" the shoe. Hence, u do not have a pain in your shoe.
  4. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 19:11
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    But you have ...
    Suppose the pain is not caused by the shoe (it's oversized). Do I still have a pain in my shoe?
  5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 19:13
    Either the pain is occurring inside the shoes (in your foot) and you do have transitivity, or it is actually occurring somewhere (maybe your brain) not in your shoe, in which case it is not in your foot either.
  6. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 20:03
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Either the pain is occurring inside the shoes (in your foot) and you do have transitivity, or it is actually occurring somewhere (maybe your brain) not in your shoe, in which case it is not in your foot either.
    But, don't you agree that, naively speaking, it makes sense to say "I have a pain in my foot" whereas it sounds weird to say "I have a pain in my shoe", even though one's shoe is in one's foot. Do you really think that latter *doesn't* sound weird?
  7. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 20:13
    But, don't you agree that, naively speaking, it makes sense to say "I have a pain in my foot" whereas it sounds weird to say "I have a pain in my shoe", even though one's shoe is in one's foot. Do you really think that latter *doesn't* sound weird?
    Yes, it sounds weird. Also, I have the feeling that the verb 'have' does not have (lol) quite the same meaning in both cases.
  8. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 20:18
    Did I really say "even though one's shoe is in one's foot"?

I am clearly more confused that I thought.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree