1. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 06:39
    I don't know if they do or not. Haven't seen one lately, but no reason why they might not be found nowadays..
  2. Joined
    13 Dec '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 21:48
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The truck doesn't recieve a force outwards it's just that the inertia of the truck means that it wishes to continue in a straight line. Centrifugal force doesn't exist.
    Yes, I know that: centrifugal force is fictitious in that it is not seen from any inertial frame of reference. But from the truck's non-intertial frame of reference there appears to be a force pushing it toward the outside of a curve.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 04:35
    Originally posted by geepamoogle

Old playgrounds often had an interesting attraction.. a sort of disk-shaped object set up so it can rotate freely around the central pole, and some bars on the outside to hold onto. Many a kid would attempt to reach the center while it was spinning (myself included), but the closer you got to the center, the stronger the "pull" outward. This became even more powerful as the device spun faster.
    Nope. Perhaps you should go find a merry go round and try this out. As you get closer to the centre the "force" pulling you outwards decreases.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 08:061 edit
    Nope. Perhaps you should go find a merry go round and try this out. As you get closer to the centre the "force" pulling you outwards decreases.
    Just because a force varies with position doesn't make it a non-force. Of course, "centrifugal force" is not a force, but your argument doesn't demonstrate that fact. Gravity varies with distance from a center too.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 09:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Just because a force varies with position doesn't make it a non-force. Of course, "centrifugal force" is not a force, but your argument doesn't demonstrate that fact. Gravity varies with distance from a center too.
    Actually I was just pointing out that the "force" doesn't get stronger as you go towards the centre as was stated in geepamoogle's post.

You are correct that the fact that the force varies doesn't make it a non-force but I never said that it did.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 10:09
    Actually I was just pointing out that the "force" doesn't get stronger as you go towards the centre as was stated in geepamoogle's post.

You are correct that the fact that the force varies doesn't make it a non-force but I never said that it did.
    Oh, my mistake. Sorry.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 18:201 edit

Xanth, what is that third force mentioned in the piece, Eulers force?
    I gathered it is another vector coming from changing accelerations of the rotating frame, but how does it manifest? I picture it as, say, a marble on a plane, say in a groove on the floor of the above mentioned merry-go-round. Is the Euler force simply the marble changing position around the circle because the floor is accelerating and the marble not so it rolls backwards if the floor is accelerating or rolls forwards if the floor is deccelerating? Is that the Euler force?
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    23 Feb '07 00:071 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Xanth, what is that third force mentioned in the piece, Eulers force?
    I gathered it is another vector coming from changing accelerations of the rotating frame, but how does it manifest? I picture it as, say, a marble on a plane, say in a groove on the floor of the above mentioned merry-go-round. Is the Euler force simply the marble changing position around ...[text shortened]... floor is accelerating or rolls forwards if the floor is deccelerating? Is that the Euler force?
    It is simply the foce causing a change in rotational speed of the rotating body.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Feb '07 01:402 edits
    It is simply the foce causing a change in rotational speed of the rotating body.
    Oh, just another name for the fact the rotational referance is accelerating or deccelerating. Well that was a letdown. I wanted something sneaky like frame dragging. Oh well, better luck next time. So at least my marble analogy was correct, it shows the effect of the affect.
    May the foce be with you🙂
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    23 Feb '07 02:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Oh, just another name for the fact the rotational referance is accelerating or deccelerating. Well that was a letdown. I wanted something sneaky like frame dragging. Oh well, better luck next time. So at least my marble analogy was correct, it shows the effect of the affect.
    May the foce be with you🙂
    Please learn the difference between affect and effect.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Feb '07 02:49
    Please learn the difference between affect and effect.
    well my foot was affected by a heat effect and I am miserable. The whole top of my foot basically boiled away. It's a pretty impressive burn.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree