1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 17:58
    You have a propellor attached to a shaft which is attached to an engine. You are a smart guy and realize that the centre of the propellor will be rotating at a slower speed than the outside edges of the propellor

So, when calculating the minimum amount of power needed to turn the propellor 1 revolution/second, do you calculate how much power is required to turn the centre of the propellor at speed X, or do you calculate how much power is required to turn the outside of the propellor at speed y?
  2. ALG
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 18:01
    Originally posted by uzless
    You have a propellor attached to a shaft which is attached to an engine. You are a smart guy and realize that the centre of the propellor will be rotating at a slower speed than the outside edges of the propellor

So, when calculating the minimum amount of power needed to turn the propellor 1 revolution/second, do you calculate how much power is required t ...[text shortened]... or do you calculate how much power is required to turn the outside of the propellor at speed y?
    Does it matter wat you use? I think it won't change the amoun of power needed
  3. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 18:391 edit

So, when calculating the minimum amount of power needed to turn the propellor 1 revolution/second, do you calculate how much power is required t ...[text shortened]... or do you calculate how much power is required to turn the outside of the propellor at speed y?
    You can sidestep the whole issue by calculating power as the product of torque and rotational speed:

power = (2*pi) * torque * rotational speed

In fact, I think it only makes sense to do it this way. The speed of the innermost part of the propeller and the outermost part of the propeller are related by the ratio v(inner)/v(outer)= 2*pi*r(inner) / 2*pi*r(outer) = r(inner)/r(outer), so you only need to define one variable (the rotational speed) in order to delineate the speed of any particular position on the propeller.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Jan '09 05:39

MY CLERICK IS LEVEL 6 AND HE CAN TURN ZOMBIES WITH HIS POWER NO ITS THE POWER OF HIS GOD APOLLO, GOD OF THE SUN AND ARROWS

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree