Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 11 Sep '03 17:44
    What's the quickest way to work out what 4 hectares is in square light years?
  2. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    11 Sep '03 18:50
    Or 20 mph in Angstroms/epoch?
  3. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    11 Sep '03 19:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    What's the quickest way to work out what 4 hectares is in square light years?
    Ok, good thing i found my calculator...

    1 lightyear^2 = (300,000,000 m/s times 365.25*24*3600 s)^2 = (9.47 * 10^15)^2 m^2 = 8.96 * 10^31 m^2

    4 hectares = 40,000 m^2

    40,000 / 8.96 * 10^31 = 4.46 * 10 ^ -28 square lightyears
  4. 11 Sep '03 21:09
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    Ok, good thing i found my calculator...

    1 lightyear^2 = (300,000,000 m/s times 365.25*24*3600 s)^2 = (9.47 * 10^15)^2 m^2 = 8.96 * 10^31 m^2

    4 hectares = 40,000 m^2

    40,000 / 8.96 * 10^31 = 4.46 * 10 ^ -28 square lightyears
    Correct answer - but there is a somewhat quicker way to it....
  5. Standard member StarValleyWy
    BentnevolentDictater
    11 Sep '03 21:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    What's the quickest way to work out what 4 hectares is in square light years?
    Well, Dan, me lad... It should... nay, must... start with a pint of some really good ale. Not the weak stuff mind you. Really good stout. Draw a diagram in the dust at your feet.... Fergot to mention, that you must be standing in an agreeable pub... with floors that have been used a bit, if you get the drift. With yer right toe, draw a diagram of the problem... stare at it for a while. Order another round for the boys, and get them involved. Make sure they don't walk on your diagram or you'll have to start over. At the end of the evening, you will surely have an answer that is agreeable to all. Even the bar maid if you tip with a bit of skill. Let me know if this doesn't work, and i'll take it to the pub and work on it over the next year or two. Or until they turn out the lights. Ahem... I just did a pint... and a preliminary estimate... i get like "point diddly squat to the minus 591st power..." I'll keep on it though... this is only an estimate.
  6. 12 Sep '03 08:29 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by StarValleyWy
    Well, Dan, me lad... It should... nay, must... start with a pint of some really good ale. Not the weak stuff mind you. Really good stout. Draw a diagram in the dust at your feet.... Fergot to mention, that you must be standing in an ag ...[text shortened]... st power..." I'll keep on it though... this is only an estimate.
    I like your approach! Please note I said quickest and not longest or most fun but, by all means, carry on!
  7. 12 Sep '03 08:46
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Or 20 mph in Angstroms/epoch?
    Well, the method I have in mind is not so good for that (how long is an epoch?), but as a guide it should take most people here about 30 seconds or less to find out what 3 light years cubed is in US cups if they use my approach.
  8. Standard member Fiathahel
    Artist in Drawing
    12 Sep '03 19:25
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Well, the method I have in mind is not so good for that (how long is an epoch?), but as a guide it should take most people here about 30 seconds or less to find out what 3 light years cubed is in US cups if they use my approach.
    That's a lot quicker than my method. Mine is just wait till somebody gives the answer
  9. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    12 Sep '03 19:57
    Originally posted by Fiathahel
    That's a lot quicker than my method. Mine is just wait till somebody gives the answer
    Lazy bum...
  10. 15 Sep '03 08:05
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    Lazy bum...
    Maybe its a bit of an unfair puzzle. I'll post the answer on Wednesday if nobody has got it.
  11. 15 Sep '03 19:32
    Originally posted by Fiathahel
    That's a lot quicker than my method. Mine is just wait till somebody gives the answer
    Good strategy, and when someone gives the right answer: That's what I ment!!!

    Olav
  12. 17 Sep '03 22:02 / 28 edits
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    What's the quickest way to work out what 4 hectares is in square light years?
    Here the answer as promised, remove the line returns (to defeat the pesky [WORD TOO LONG]) in the link:

    http://www.google.com/search?
    hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    &oe=UTF-8
    &q=four+hectares+
    in+square+light+years
    &btnG=Google+Search

    By the way, anyone know any better ways to suppress word too long or to get hyperlinks to work in posts?
  13. Standard member Fiathahel
    Artist in Drawing
    18 Sep '03 06:34
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Here the answer as promised, remove the line returns (to defeat the pesky [WORD TOO LONG]) in the link:

    http://www.google.com/search?
    hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    &oe=UTF-8
    &q=four+hectares+
    in+square+light+years
    &btnG=Google+Search

    By the way, anyone know any better ways to suppress word too long or to get hyperlinks to work in posts?
    You could send a feedback and ask if they want to make it posible to make hyperlinks
  14. 11 Oct '03 03:01 / 1 edit
    use www.tinyurl.com to shorten long url's

    the answer is at: http://tinyurl.com/qj1q


  15. 11 Oct '03 03:12 / 2 edits
    oh BTW my "tinyurl" link is now the shortest answer!!!

    Yea that's right make me a sammich!