Unravel this, if you can!

Unravel this, if you can!

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
08 Jul 06

T. Volet and P. Wassong
StrateGems 2001

Release the position
(3 Black Rooks)
(Release the position: Prove that the position is legal, by taking back moves until you reach a position in the past that is obviously legal.)

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
24 Jul 06

bump

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Jul 06

The guy who came up with that one is demented!

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
The guy who came up with that one is demented!
Two guys, actually. It's too demented for just one person to create.

c
'Sir' to you

Osaka, Japan

Moves
25 Jul 06
1 edit

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
T. Volet and P. Wassong
StrateGems 2001
[
Release the position
(3 Black Rooks)
(Release the position: Prove that the position is legal, by taking back moves until you reach a position in the past that is obviously legal.)
Seriously, why????

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by c99ux
Seriously, why????
Why what?

T

Moves
25 Jul 06
1 edit

Was the last move PxN(f4)?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by ThudanBlunder
Was the last move PxN(f4)?
No.

The Tao Temple

Moves
26 Jul 06

For puzzles like this (Retrograde Analysis) read "the chess mysteries of Sherlock Holmes" by Raymond Smullyan - nothing to do with the original Holmes stories but he provides a good character for the author to use

M

Moves
26 Jul 06

No.
I haven't been able to spend a lot of time (yet) on this, but here are a few considerations that others may use to find a solution (or to contradict my observations):

- f7-f6 seems like a good candidate last move to me. Without that, I do not see an easy way back out for the white king

- white is missing two pawns, nothing else. Black's two pawns that have captured didn't take a white pawn. Hence, white promoted two pawns and they got captured. Must be e- and g-pawns
- black has promoted his pawn for a rook (3 rooks). Has to be the g-pawn.
- how did the two g-pawns pass on the g-file? I see two solutions: the white pawn takes something on f7, and then promotes, or the white pawn takes something on the h-file, let's the black pawn pass, and takes something else on the g-file. Since I think the f-pawn moved last in the game, the first option is not available. So, I think both black knights were captured by white's g-pawn (first to the h-file, then back to the g-file)
- still to be analysed: all the other moves, which I believe (hope) are just move order issues (e.g. the white bishops on the a-file).

that's it so far

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by Mephisto2
I haven't been able to spend a lot of time (yet) on this, but here are a few considerations that others may use to find a solution (or to contradict my observations):

- f7-f6 seems like a good candidate last move to me. Without that, I do not see an easy way back out for the white king

- white is missing two pawns, nothing else. Black's two pawns tha ...[text shortened]... pe) are just move order issues (e.g. the white bishops on the a-file).

that's it so far
You're off to a good start. One caveat: wPc3 captured a black Knight, so wPg can't make two captures. This means White must have played gxf7 to promote, so Black may not retract ...f7-f6 for a long while.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 Jul 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Mixo
For puzzles like this (Retrograde Analysis) read "the chess mysteries of Sherlock Holmes" by Raymond Smullyan - nothing to do with the original Holmes stories but he provides a good character for the author to use
That's a good intro to retros, but this one is much harder to solve than anything in Smullyan's book.

M

Moves
27 Jul 06

You're off to a good start. One caveat: wPc3 captured a black Knight, so wPg can't make two captures. This means White must have played gxf7 to promote, so Black may not retract ...f7-f6 for a long while.
Yes, of course, that was not very bright of me. Well, that certainly doesn't make the unraveling easier....

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
29 Jul 06

I'll give solvers a couple days more, then I'm posting the solution...

s

Moves
30 Jul 06
1 edit

T. Volet and P. Wassong
StrateGems 2001
[fen]Nrbb4/qprp3p/PpQK1p1P/RRpp4/Brk2P2/B1P5/1PP5/1N6[/fen]
Release the position
(3 Black Rooks)
But you must tell who moved last? Black or white? I guess black must have moved last.