Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. Donation Acolyte
    Now With Added BA
    26 Apr '04 22:51
    (These are all separate things, by the way.)

I run but I cannot walk; I have a bed but never sleep.

I am found in locks which no key can open

My cousin turns grey things orange, and is despised; but I turn orange things green, and I am left undisturbed.

You can find me in a needle, in a storm, even on a potato.

I am a metal, yet I am composed of non-metal.
  2. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    27 Apr '04 00:13
    Originally posted by Acolyte

My cousin turns grey things orange, and is despised; but I turn orange things green, and I am left undisturbed.

I am a metal, yet I am composed of non-metal.
    A river.

A river. Or hair.

An Eye.

3. Standard member Polynikes
    Spartiate
    28 Apr '04 03:56

I believe the answer is photosynthesis, and it's cousin is oxidization (rust).
  4. Donation Acolyte
    Now With Added BA
    28 Apr '04 04:43
    Originally posted by Polynikes
    I believe the answer is photosynthesis, and it's cousin is oxidization (rust).
    You're right about the cousin, but photosynthesis does not directly turn orange things green.
  5. Standard member jimmyb270
    Top Gun
    28 Apr '04 05:38
    Um...I'm no chemist, but isn't it oxidisation that makes copper (orange) go green as well?
  6. Donation Acolyte
    Now With Added BA
    28 Apr '04 08:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    Um...I'm no chemist, but isn't it oxidisation that makes copper (orange) go green as well?
    Yep, but like rust the substance has a more specific name.
  7. Standard member Polynikes
    Spartiate
    28 Apr '04 13:41
    So you mean chloroplasts, then? Or maybe you want chlorophyll?
  8. 29 Apr '04 05:47 / 1 edit
    Yep, but like rust the substance has a more specific name.
    i think the word you want is "corrosion".
    the green layer on copper, when it looks nice (such as on a dome) is called "patina".

the "metal composed of a non-metal" might be metallic hydrogen. i don't know that for sure though.
  9. Standard member jimmyb270
    Top Gun
    29 Apr '04 10:57
    I reckon the 'metal composed of non-metal' refers to the music genre, heavy metal.
  10. Donation Acolyte
    Now With Added BA
    29 Apr '04 14:07
    Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
    i think the word you want is "corrosion".
    the green layer on copper, when it looks nice (such as on a dome) is called "patina".

the "metal composed of a non-metal" might be metallic hydrogen. i don't know that for sure though.
    I was looking for 'patina' or 'verdigris'.

Personally I would prefer to see nice shiny orange copper domes, but presumably enough people like verdigris that it's left alone; in fact it probably gets generated artificially if copper domes have to be replaced. I once went to a town where the river was exactly the colour of verdigris, quite an odd effect in conjunction with real verdigris on some of the buildings.

The metal composed of non-metal is a play-on-words.
  11. Subscriber Brother Edwin
    7 edits
    08 May '04 15:21
    I dont know
  12. 19 May '04 22:16 / 1 edit
    i think the first one is a river, the second one is water, as in the locks in dams or something... the third is whatever acolyte said.. hum..was it petina or sometyhing?? I didn't get the fourth one yet... and the last one is heavymetal, as someone else said. hum.. I think I got them all wrong though...