1. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 13:17
    hi,

i'm really a beginner at retro puzzles, that's why im posting this one here. the question is: what was black's last move? the only information you get is, that in the last 4 moves (i think it's halfmoves, so 2 white moves and 2 black moves) no piece was taking.

i think there are some retro experts here, that will say this problem is easy. please PM me your solution then, so i can see if my answer was correct. (im pretty sure it is!) 🙂

2. Earth Prime
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 13:471 edit
    just a random guess...

Bg3h4

No reasoning behind that other than it looks like the only piece that could have moved.

Edit: Although that move logically doesn't make any sense... whatever
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 14:12
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    hi,

i'm really a beginner at retro puzzles, that's why im posting this one here. the question is: what was black's last move? the only information you get is, that in the last 4 moves (i think it's halfmoves, so 2 white moves and 2 black moves) no piece was taking.

i think there are some retro experts here, that will say this problem is easy. ple ...[text shortened]... correct. (im pretty sure it is!) 🙂

[fen]2B5/8/6P1/6Pk/3P2qb/3p4/3PB3/2NrNKQR w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Recognized this from Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes by Smullyan.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 16:02
    Originally posted by Coconut
    just a random guess...

Bg3h4

No reasoning behind that other than it looks like the only piece that could have moved.

Edit: Although that move logically doesn't make any sense... whatever
    no, it couldn't have been the bishop, because what then would have been White's last move? certainly not a rook move resulting in check, since the rook would have had to have moved from a square from which it was already giving check.

However, similarly, Black's last move could not have been the queen moving to block check from White's bishop, for the same reason, unless the check was a discovered check by White by Nf3e1, but if that was the case, then how did Black's rook move to check the White king?

I'm afraid I'm stumped at this point. I do see that White must have promoted a pawn to a bishop at some point, but I fail to see how that enters into the solution...

So, I would say the last Black move was Qg4, but I don't have a clue of the from square, or how Black's rook moved to check the White king.

Bleh, I burned out enough brain cells on this... I'm ready for the answer 🙂
  5. Earth Prime
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 16:351 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    no, it couldn't have been the bishop, because what then would have been White's last move? certainly not a rook move resulting in check, since the rook would have had to have moved from a square from which it was already giving check.
    Oh yeah. of course. I saw that with the queen being pinned by the bishop, but not that.

Oh well.

Edit: One idea, I don't think we are told that it is white to move, so it could be black to move, in which case blacks last move could have been a rook or something else.
  6. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 17:26
    bigdogg pm'ed me and my solution was correct 🙄
    suzianne you were on the right way, keep thinking it to the end 🙂
  7. back in business
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 17:47
    piece of cactus. Qg4 was indeed the last move. nice puzzle altogether.
  8. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 19:48
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    piece of cactus. Qg4 was indeed the last move. nice puzzle altogether.
    from where did the queen move to g4 then, and why?
  9. back in business
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 05:32
    1.cxd1=R+ Nf3-e1+
    2.Qd7-g4
  10. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 05:39
    1.cxd1=R+ Nf3-e1+
    2.Qd7-g4
    The original poster does mention there was no capture in the last four moves 😉. A very interesting puzzle. I did enjoy solving it.
  11. back in business
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 06:02
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    The original poster does mention there was no capture in the last four moves 😉. A very interesting puzzle. I did enjoy solving it.
    oh my thanks. back to thinking
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 16:02
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    bigdogg pm'ed me and my solution was correct 🙄
    suzianne you were on the right way, keep thinking it to the end 🙂
    oooooh, oooooh! I see the light! Hallelujah!

The Black rook came to check the White king because of another discovered check when Black played Be1h4 to counter the check on Black's king from White's rook, which gave another discovered check when White played Bh3c8!

Given the paths the pieces have taken, the only place Black's queen could have come from was e4... so the last 4 half-moves were:

1. White: Bh3c8+
    2. Black: Be1h4+
    3. White: Nf3e1+
    4. Black: Qe4g4

Thanks to all who got the solution but let a newbie at this figure it out
  13. back in business
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 16:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    oooooh, oooooh! I see the light! Hallelujah!

The Black rook came to check the White king because of another discovered check when Black played Be1h4 to counter the check on Black's king from White's rook, which gave another discovered check when White played Bh3c8!

Given the paths the pieces have taken, the only place Black's queen could have com ...[text shortened]... 1+
    4. Black: Qe4g4

Thanks to all who got the solution but let a newbie at this figure it out
    cngrats suz.

btw what are you? a new mikhail tal?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 17:02
    cngrats suz.

btw what are you? a new mikhail tal?
    Thank you, that is high praise indeed!

Mikhail Tal is my favorite player of the 20th century 🙂
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '05 20:28
    The Answer is Qg4

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree