1. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 02:511 edit
    A man is trying to gain access into a new nightclub. He knows that there is a password system , and that you must give the correct response to the bouncer to be granted access. He hangs back in the shadows, to see if he can get a hint at how the password sytem works.

Another man approaches the bouncer. The bouncer says, "6". The man replies "3", and is granted access. Shortly after that, another man approaches. The bouncer says "12". The man replies, "6", and the bouncer lets him pass.

The man in the shadows now thinks he's seen enough to know how the system works. He confidently approaches the bouncer. The bouncer says to him, "10". He replies, "5". The bouncer stands defiantly and does not allow him to pass.

What should the man's reply have been?
  2. Standard memberIM4Y2NV
    Dadohalic
    Finger tip talking.
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 02:542 edits
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    A man is trying to gain access into a new nightclub. He knows that there is a password system , and that you must give the correct response to the bouncer to be granted access. He hangs back in the shadows, to see if he can get a hint at how the password sytem works.

Another man approaches the bouncer. The bouncer says, "6". The man replies "3 efiantly and does not allow him to pass.

What should the man's reply have been?
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 09:28
    Is it something related with the English pronouncing: 3 like tree, 6 like sex ? I can not find something similar for 12....
  4. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 09:36
    More likely it's the number of letters: six consists of 3 letter, twelve of 6, and ten of 3 once again. So, maybe 3 is the answer.
  5. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 10:431 edit
    Aw, come on! Say it with confidence, man! Yeah, you got it, ilywrin. I even consciously avoided typing out the written words of the numbers, because I thought that might give a hint.

Edit: Just had a look at the composition on your profile. It was starting to give me serious doubts about my status as a chess player, before I found the solution. Nice one.
  6. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 14:46
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Aw, come on! Say it with confidence, man! Yeah, you got it, ilywrin. I even consciously avoided typing out the written words of the numbers, because I thought that might give a hint.

Edit: Just had a look at the composition on your profile. It was starting to give me serious doubts about my status as a chess player, before I found the solution. Nice one.
    HERE'S A HARDER ONE.

A man is trying to gain access into a new nightclub. He knows that there is a password system, and that you must give the correct response to the bouncer to be granted access. He hangs back in the shadows, to see if he can get a hint at how the password sytem works.

Another man approaches the bouncer. The bouncer says "1". The man replies "3", and is granted access.

Shortly after that, another man approaches. The bouncer says "2". The man replies "5", and is granted access.

Shortly after that, another man approaches. The bouncer says "3". The man replies "4", and is granted access.

Shortly after that, another man approaches. The bouncer says "4". The man replies "5", and is granted access.

The man in the shadows now thinks he's seen enough to know how the system works. He confidently approaches the bouncer. The bouncer says to him, "5".

What should he say to be granted access?
  7. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 17:49
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    HERE'S A HARDER ONE.

A man is trying to gain access into a new nightclub. He knows that there is a password system, and that you must give the correct response to the bouncer to be granted access. He hangs back in the shadows, to see if he can get a hint at how the password sytem works.

Another man approaches the bouncer. The bouncer says "1". Th ...[text shortened]... . The bouncer says to him, "5".

I think the answer is 5. 🙂
  8. Joined
    05 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 17:581 edit
    HERE'S A HARDER ONE.

Another man approaches the bouncer. The bouncer says "1". Th . The bouncer says to him, "5".

oh sorry wrong theory🙂
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 18:411 edit
    HERE'S A HARDER ONE.

Another man approaches the bouncer. The bouncer says "1". Th . The bouncer says to him, "5".

Sorry, thougth I was onto something, didn't work. Back to the drawing board (my chess games of course🙂
  10. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 20:37
    Originally posted by lausey
    I think the answer is 5. 🙂
    Sorry, not correct.
  11. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 20:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Sorry, thougth I was onto something, didn't work. Back to the drawing board (my chess games of course🙂
    This is a prime example of a difficult puzzle...
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 23:271 edit
    i do believe the answer is...7?
  13. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 13:12
    Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
    i do believe the answer is...7?
    Also wrong!

I gave a cryptic clue in my last post...
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 18:55
    6? cuz i know its about prime numbers...but the 4 doesnt fit. so i guess 6.
  15. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 21:031 edit
    Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
    6? cuz i know its about prime numbers...but the 4 doesnt fit. so i guess 6.
    That's right!

The number stated by the bouncer specifies the ordinal position of the target prime number in the ascending sequence of primes (1=2, 2=3, 3=5, 4=7, 5=11); the number the customer replies corresponding to the number of that letters in the word for that prime number (e l e v e n = 6).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree