1. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    14 Jul '10 15:04
    This position is actually from a real game. I will tell the names of both players, when it is solved.
    It's whites turn, but he realized the Black king is too powerful. So he resigned. However he can get draw on a very thin path. The use of a standard procedure which has to be adjusted to the requirements of position, makes this one of my favorite puzzles. 🙂

  2. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    14 Jul '10 17:01
    Ke4?
  3. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    14 Jul '10 17:02
    this is the most obvious move
  4. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    14 Jul '10 18:08
    okay, but if you move Ke4 and offer draw, black will most likely not accept it yet 😉
  5. ALG
    Joined
    16 Dec '07
    Moves
    6190
    14 Jul '10 19:45
    White must take black's c-pawn and move his own c-pawn forward. A queen versus a c-pawn will be draw.
  6. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    15 Jul '10 00:217 edits
    Ke4 Kxc2
    Kd5 Kb3
    Kxc5 Kxa2
    Kb5 wins

    or Ke4 Kxa2
    Kd5 Kb2
    Kxc5 a4
    Kb4 wins
  7. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    15 Jul '10 00:223 edits
    an a-pawn vs queen draws too
    just saying
  8. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    15 Jul '10 00:29
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    okay, but if you move Ke4 and offer draw, black will most likely not accept it yet 😉
    wat does black reply to Ke4?
  9. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    15 Jul '10 07:03
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    White must take black's c-pawn and move his own c-pawn forward. A queen versus a c-pawn will be draw.
    you are on the right track. but there is a problem in this specific position...
  10. ALG
    Joined
    16 Dec '07
    Moves
    6190
    15 Jul '10 10:262 edits
    K-e4 Kxa2
    K-d5 K-b2
    Kxc5 -a4
    K-d6 -a3
    -c5 -a2
    -c6 -a1Q
    -c7
  11. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    15 Jul '10 10:41
    instead of Kd6 why not Kb4?
  12. ALG
    Joined
    16 Dec '07
    Moves
    6190
    15 Jul '10 10:431 edit
    Originally posted by Banana King
    instead of Kd6 why not Kb4?
    Why going to b4: you can't take the black pawn, and need to protect your own.
  13. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    15 Jul '10 10:581 edit
    ya sorry that was stupid. so is answer right? crazyblue?
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    15 Jul '10 14:04
    I don't see any draw. I just see variants where black wins.
  15. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Joined
    03 Apr '06
    Moves
    44348
    15 Jul '10 15:293 edits
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    This position is actually from a real game. I will tell the names of both players, when it is solved.
    It's whites turn, but he realized the Black king is too powerful. So he resigned. However he can get draw on a very thin path. The use of a standard procedure which has to be adjusted to the requirements of position, makes this one of my favorite puzzles. 🙂

    [fen]8/8/8/p1p5/2P2K2/8/PkP5/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Are you sure this puzzle is legit? It seems white draws easily after Ke4 Kxc2, so resigning probably wasn't the right choice yet. But after ...Kxa2.................

    Edit - Never mind, I was just looking at it here, but once you set up the board it seems the win is quite elementary. Of course, I was wrong once...



    And an elementary draw.

    Edit- Drawing in such positions involves a stalemate defense as such:



    Here taking the pawn gives stalemate, and black cannot make further progress. However, in the original position, white gets an extra pawn. If black refrains from taking it, the above position isn't stalemate, hence black might win. Have to think about it...
Back to Top