Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    21 Apr '07 20:18 / 1 edit


    White to move and mate in 3.
  2. 22 Apr '07 06:06
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    [fen]4rnk1/r1qb1ppp/4pb2/2p1N2Q/2P1B3/1P6/1B4PP/5RK1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

    White to move and mate in 3.
    Qxf7+ Kh8
    Bxh7 Nxh7
    Ng6#
  3. 22 Apr '07 07:53 / 1 edit
    That move order won't work -- Black's second move isn't forced. He can take with the king instead, and I don't see a mate that way. But if you switch...

    1. Bxh7+ Nxh7
    2. Qxf7+ Kh8
    3. Ng6#

    ...it works. Black can also play ...Kh8, in which case

    2. Bg6+ Kg8
    3. Bxf7#

    or

    2. ... Nh7
    3. Qxh7#

    wins. Nice problem.
  4. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    22 Apr '07 13:38 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by CZeke
    That move order won't work -- Black's second move isn't forced. He can take with the king instead, and I don't see a mate that way. But if you switch...

    1. Bxh7+ Nxh7
    2. Qxf7+ Kh8
    3. Ng6#

    ...it works. Black can also play ...Kh8, in which case

    2. Bg6+ Kg8
    3. Bxf7#

    or

    2. ... Nh7
    3. Qxh7#

    wins. Nice problem.
    Yep. That's it. Here's a harder one:



    White to move and mate in 2.
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Apr '07 14:16 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Yep. That's it. Here's a harder one:

    [fen]5Kn1/5N1p/B2Q1p1r/3b1P1n/1Pp1k1p1/8/q2PN1Pp/6b1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

    White to move and mate in 2.
    1 QxB+ KxQ forced.
    2 B-b7#
  6. 22 Apr '07 14:19
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Yep. That's it. Here's a harder one:

    [fen]5Kn1/5N1p/B2Q1p1r/3b1P1n/1Pp1k1p1/8/q2PN1Pp/6b1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

    White to move and mate in 2.
    ARRGH!!! My brain hurts, Dutch Defense stop posting these threads, I keep wasting my time looking at them, and when I do solve one, somebody else already posted the answer!
  7. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    22 Apr '07 14:26 / 8 edits
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    ARRGH!!! My brain hurts, Dutch Defense stop posting these threads, I keep wasting my time looking at them, and when I do solve one, somebody else already posted the answer!
    Try this one then:



    White to move and mate in 3.

    EDIT: Solve it before someone else then.
  8. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    22 Apr '07 14:35 / 7 edits


    White to move and mate in 3.
  9. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    22 Apr '07 14:43 / 1 edit


    White to move and mate in 3.
  10. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Apr '07 14:54
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    [fen]8/8/8/3B4/4b2p/3N1p1p/7p/5K1k w - - 0 1[/fen]

    White to move and mate in 3.
    so which one is wrong, and did I get the right solution to the one I posted? QxB+?
  11. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    22 Apr '07 15:12
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Try this one then:

    [fen]1B6/8/8/7p/6pp/7k/5KN1/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

    White to move and mate in 3.

    EDIT: Solve it before someone else then.
    1. Bg3 hxg3+ 2. Kg1 h4 3. Nf4#
  12. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    22 Apr '07 15:13
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    [fen]8/8/8/3B4/4b2p/3N1p1p/7p/5K1k w - - 0 1[/fen]

    White to move and mate in 3.
    1.Nf2# is faster.
  13. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    22 Apr '07 15:19
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    [fen]3B4/1r2p3/r1pp1p2/bk2P1p1/1p1P1PPp/p1P4P/PP6/3BK1n1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

    White to move and mate in 3.
    Hmm. I don't think there's a #3 in this one.
  14. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    22 Apr '07 16:33
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Hmm. I don't think there's a #3 in this one.
    You'll kick yourself in the eye when you solve it.
  15. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    22 Apr '07 16:34 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    1.Nf2# is faster.
    Oh, you're right. I didn't see that.

    Wait, I set it up wrong. Sorry.

    Here's the correct position:



    White to move and mate in 3.