Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 Jun '06 17:35
    Originally posted by vaginis
    1. i take note of your abusive tone and language
    2. your so called problems do not involve anything practically useful
    a draw is a draw.
    3. in your second puzzle the position will never be achieved in a game between two players who are both trying to win not to mention that the game is drawn prior to the last move in that position and would be declared a ...[text shortened]... olved.
    if you're wondering why i'm reacting in such a belligerent manner please see point #1
    Do all your jokes involve alphabetically itemized lists?

"A draw is a draw" -- What a naive statement. As endgame studies show, there are plenty of positions where it is not readily obvious what the result should be.

Buchanan's problems involve retrograde analysis. People who limit themselves to game-like puzzles usually dislike retros; therefore, your response is predictable (typical narrow-mindedness) and doesn't concern me.
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    18 Jun '06 20:15
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Whatever yuwere replying to, stating: "..... It's the same with Q+K vs Q+K. I think you're only given 1 move after you promote the pawn to either get an edge in material/have a clear win. Maybe not even that." is nonsense.
    How can you win K+Q vs K+Q without a blunder?
  3. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    18 Jun '06 20:19
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    How can PBE6's variation result in a correct ILC claim when white has a [b]forced win after the Rook promotion??[/b]
    True, but from my understanding of when the rule was called (please forgive me if I'm wrong, like I said this was 3 years ago) if it gets down to 2 rooks, no matter the position, a side could claim the draw. Again, not positive but I think it was something like the current situation when it was called. One side had the win and the other claimed a draw, which the tournament director gave to him.
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    18 Jun '06 22:49
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    True, but from my understanding of when the rule was called (please forgive me if I'm wrong, like I said this was 3 years ago) if it gets down to 2 rooks, no matter the position, a side could claim the draw. Again, not positive but I think it was something like the current situation when it was called. One side had the win and the other claimed a draw, which the tournament director gave to him.
    I found this on the US Chess Federation website: http://www.uschess.org/tds/clockrules.php

The "Insufficient Losing Chances" Rule

"Tournaments with sudden death time controls have become increasingly popular. One reason for this is that these types of events allow several games to be played in one day.

However, one side effect of sudden death time controls is that a player with a winning position may find that he or she does not have sufficient time remaining to actually win the game. In some extreme cases, the player may lose on time in a grossly winning position.

This situation strikes many players as unfair, because the game ought to be decided by moves made on the board. In response to this situation, the USCF created the insufficient losing chances rule:

14 H1. In a sudden death time control, a player with two minutes or less of remaining time may stop the clock and ask the director to declare the game a draw on the grounds that the player has insufficient losing chances.

The draw shall be awarded if the director believes that a Class C player would have little chance to lose the position against a Master with both having ample time. The exact losing chances of any position cannot be calculated, but a director wishing a more precise standard may consider "little" to mean less than 10 percent."

It seems that in this case, black has very significant losing chances (ie. a forced win for white), and the presiding director should reject the claim.
  5. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    18 Jun '06 23:16
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I found this on the US Chess Federation website: http://www.uschess.org/tds/clockrules.php

[b]The "Insufficient Losing Chances" Rule

"Tournaments with sudden death time controls have become increasingly popular. One reason for this is that these types of events allow several games to be played in one day.

However, one side effect of sudden death ti ...[text shortened]... chances (ie. a forced win for white), and the presiding director should reject the claim.[/b]
    Ahhh, ok, thanks for cleaing that up 🙂. Interesting rule..Hard to remember too 😛.
  6. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 06:10
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    How can you win K+Q vs K+Q without a blunder?
    I didn't say that. My claim was that you stating: "..... It's the same with Q+K vs Q+K. I think you're only given 1 move after you promote the pawn to either get an edge in material/have a clear win. Maybe not even that." is nonsense.
  7. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '06 18:17
    Originally posted by uzless
    explain
    After Kf5, Re1, if you promote the pawn Rf1+ skewers it.

The correct answer is:

Kg5, Re5+
    Kg4, Re4+
    Kg3, Re3+
    Kf2 (black can no longerget to Rf1) Re4!! (If f1 = Q then Rf4+!!... If QxR then its a stalemate so the key is to promote to a rook!)
    f1=R!, Rh4 (stopping Rh8++)
    Kg3 (threatening to captuer the rook or mate with Rf1++)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree