Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 28 Mar '05 10:32 / 4 edits

    What is white's best move? People who receive Brian Balestri's puzzles, please don't respond.
    Game 1039885
  2. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    28 Mar '05 18:23
    Are you serious?
  3. 28 Mar '05 18:27
    Kd2
  4. Standard member Arrakis
    D_U_N_E
    28 Mar '05 22:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by schakuhr

    What is white's best move? People who receive Brian Balestri's puzzles, please don't respond.
    Game 1039885
    Sorry, this position is cooked. For those of you who may not know what "cooked" means, it's a term that describes a flaw to a problem theme. In this case the theme is moving the knight and giving a discovered check by the queen. But the problem is "cooked" because White has two winning solutions where neither is better than the other. The knight can move to both b5 and d5 with a discovered check.

    arrakis
  5. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    28 Mar '05 23:11
    Originally posted by arrakis
    Sorry, this position is cooked. For those of you who may not know what "cooked" means, it's a term that describes a flaw to a problem theme. In this case the theme is moving the knight and giving a discovered check by the queen. But the problem is "cooked" because White has two winning solutions where neither is better than the other. The knight can move to both b5 and d5 with a discovered check.

    arrakis
    Not so fast! After 1.Nd5+?? or 1.Nb5+??, Black has the devastating reply 1...Nd4+ with double check, forcing the white King to move. Then white will find to his chagrin that it is he who loses.
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    28 Mar '05 23:15
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Kd2
    I do not see how white wins after 1.Kd2 Qa5.
  7. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    28 Mar '05 23:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Not so fast! After 1.Nd5+?? or 1.Nb5+??, Black has the devastating reply 1...Nd4+ with double check...
    That was the idea behind the problem...
  8. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    28 Mar '05 23:54
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    That was the idea behind the problem...
    Well, hopefully it has a solution, too...
  9. 29 Mar '05 12:46
    Yes indeed Kd2 is the best move. Not Nd5+ or Nb5+, for 1. ... Nd4+ will follow it, and wherever the king moves, 2. ... Qc2+ will follow with mate on the next move.
  10. 29 Mar '05 12:56
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Yes indeed Kd2 is the best move. Not Nd5+ or Nb5+, for 1. ... Nd4+ will follow it, and wherever the king moves, 2. ... Qc2+ will follow with mate on the next move.
    Not so fast. I still think Kd2 is the best move (or Kc1), but as pointed out Qa5 follows. White keeps the best game (but no immediate win) after QxQ.
  11. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    29 Mar '05 16:23
    Why is everyone saying 'Not so fast'?
  12. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    29 Mar '05 16:32
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Why is everyone saying 'Not so fast'?
    Not so fast there, Bowmann. Easy does it.
  13. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    29 Mar '05 17:14
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Not so fast. I still think Kd2 is the best move (or Kc1), but as pointed out Qa5 follows. White keeps the best game (but no immediate win) after QxQ.
    Ugh....

    What a lousy puzzle.
  14. 29 Mar '05 17:24
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I do not see how white wins after 1.Kd2 Qa5.
    Hello, the puzzle was: what is white's best move , not White to play and win .
  15. 29 Mar '05 17:29
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Hello, the puzzle was: [b] what is white's best move , not White to play and win .[/b]
    sure, this looks almost like a real chessgame. Good tactics practice.