1. Joined
    21 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 06:12
    A king had 3 advisors and he wanted to find out who was the smartest. So he devised a test for them. He said that he had 3 white hats and 2 black hats. After seating the three men facing each other, he told them that he would randomly pick 3 hats, which would be placed on their heads so that they could each see the other 2 men's hats but not their own. Unbeknownst to them, the king tossed away the two black hats and only used the three white hats. After staring at each other for a while, one of the wise men figured it out and shouted, "I know! My hat is white!" How did he do it?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 06:19
    Originally posted by elopawn
    A king had 3 advisors and he wanted to find out who was the smartest. So he devised a test for them. He said that he had 3 white hats and 2 black hats. After seating the three men facing each other, he told them that he would randomly pick 3 hats, which would be placed on their heads so that they could each see the other 2 men's hats but not their own. Unbe ...[text shortened]... , one of the wise men figured it out and shouted, "I know! My hat is white!" How did he do it?
    Neither of the other two advisors can see two black hats because otherwise they would know their hat colour is white.

If either of the other advisors could see a single black hat they would know that their hat was white as if it wasn't then the white hat wearing advisor would see two black hats and know his hat was white.

As neither of these has happened his own hat must be white.
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 06:341 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Neither of the other two advisors can see two black hats because otherwise they would know their hat colour is white.

If either of the other advisors could see a single black hat they would know that their hat was white as if it wasn't then the white hat wearing advisor would see two black hats and know his hat was white.

As neither of these has happened his own hat must be white.
    A further small question:

Which advisor would you perfer to be in this situation? Or do you think that it doesn't matter?
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 07:07

Which advisor would you perfer to be in this situation? Or do you think that it doesn't matter?
    All advisors can follow the same logic and reach the conclusion. However to do so you must have confidence in your fellow advisors. If one advisor is much worse than the others that is the one to be.
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 07:58

Which advisor would you perfer to be in this situation?
    The smart one!

Or is this a trick question? 😉

Nemesio
  6. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 14:29
    A king had 3 advisors and he wanted to find out who was the smartest. So he devised a test for them. He said that he had 3 white hats and 2 black hats. After seating the three men facing each other, he told them that he would randomly pick 3 hats, which would be placed on their heads so that they could each see the other 2 men's hats but not their own. Unbe ...[text shortened]... , one of the wise men figured it out and shouted, "I know! My hat is white!" How did he do it?
    He diden't, It was a gamble.
  7. Standard membergaurav2711
    walking...
    ...back
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 14:49
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    He diden't, It was a gamble.
    it was a gamble....but as Xanthos mentioned, it is an educated gamble. Obviously he knew that the other 2 advisors were smart enuff to call White if they saw a black hat. However, he was jus that touch smarter.
  8. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 14:591 edit
    Originally posted by gaurav2711
    it was a gamble....but as Xanthos mentioned, it is an educated gamble. Obviously he knew that the other 2 advisors were smart enuff to call White if they saw a black hat. However, he was jus that touch smarter.
    Wise man dont gamble!

They say: I cannot know.
  9. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 18:581 edit
    adviser(s)
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 22:56
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    [b]adviser(s)[/b]
    Or advisor(s).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=advisor
  11. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    27 Oct '05 23:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Or [b]advisor(s).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=advisor[/b]
    Like many dictionaries on the Web, this is American. To most people it's useless.
  12. Standard membergaurav2711
    walking...
    ...back
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 07:07
    Like many dictionaries on the Web, this is American. To most people it's useless.
    oxford aint american. 😛 check this out.

http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dict&field-12668446=advisor&branch=13842570&textsearchtype=exact&sortorder=score%2Cname

cheers!!
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 18:47
    U.S. Population: ~300 million.
    U.K. Population: ~60 million.
  14. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 19:39
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    U.S. Population: ~300 million.
    U.K. Population: ~60 million.
    I do believe you are not counting the millions of people in europe who speak english as a second language...
  15. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 23:14
    Originally posted by gaurav2711
    http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dict&field-12668446=advisor&branch=13842570&textsearchtype=exact&sortorder=score%2Cname
    adviser is the preferred spelling.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree