Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    08 Jul '11 20:01
    I'll give a quote from a book, you figure out what book it came from.

    I'll give you a hint:

    The book was published in English🙂

    The quote:

    "the road to hell is paved with self medication"

    Good luck!

    Try your own!
  2. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    10 Jul '11 13:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I'll give a quote from a book, you figure out what book it came from.

    I'll give you a hint:

    The book was published in English🙂

    The quote:

    "the road to hell is paved with self medication"

    Good luck!

    Try your own!
    Little harder than it looks, eh....
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    16 Jul '11 02:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I'll give a quote from a book, you figure out what book it came from.

    I'll give you a hint:

    The book was published in English🙂

    The quote:

    "the road to hell is paved with self medication"

    Good luck!

    Try your own!
    Sounds like Rush Limbaugh.
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    17 Jul '11 18:03
    Maybe a Scientology book.
  5. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    127.0.0.1
    Joined
    18 Dec '03
    Moves
    16172
    17 Jul '11 18:341 edit
    Being that a google search returns exactly 3 results, and two of them are this thread, I think the quote is pretty obscure...

    I'm not familiar with the book.
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    18 Jul '11 01:47
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    Being that a google search returns exactly 3 results, and two of them are this thread, I think the quote is pretty obscure...

    I'm not familiar with the book.
    Never heard of it either. The name is of the form "The _______ of _______"
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    18 Jul '11 13:31
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Never heard of it either. The name is of the form "The _______ of _______"
    "The Book of Quotes"?
  8. Joined
    18 Jun '11
    Moves
    1179
    18 Jul '11 16:20
    The return of Nightfall.
  9. Joined
    18 Jun '11
    Moves
    1179
    18 Jul '11 16:26
    Next: If we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find that we have lost the future.
  10. London
    Joined
    28 Sep '04
    Moves
    110329
    18 Jul '11 23:32
    Originally posted by Savielly
    Next: If we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find that we have lost the future.
    Well that's Churchill so it could be from any number of books. "Famous Quotes of British Wartime Prime Ministers"??
  11. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    19 Jul '11 05:01
    "A heavy black volume, amateurishly bound, with no name or title on the cover. The print also looked slightly irregular. The pages were worn at the edges, and fell apart easily, as though the book had passed through many hands."

    Source?
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7495
    19 Jul '11 13:33
    Originally posted by Freddie2008
    Well that's Churchill so it could be from any number of books. "Famous Quotes of British Wartime Prime Ministers"??
    A speech, more likely. He made rather a lot of them, several of them rightly famous.

    Richard
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7495
    19 Jul '11 13:47
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "A heavy black volume, amateurishly bound, with no name or title on the cover. The print also looked slightly irregular. The pages were worn at the edges, and fell apart easily, as though the book had passed through many hands."

    Source?
    Necronomicon?

    Here's one:

    "They dauncen, and they pleyen at ches and tables."

    (Spelling is correct... and that's a hint.)

    Richard
  14. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    19 Jul '11 17:361 edit
    Nope! Not the Necronomicon.

    Huckleberry Finn?
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    19 Jul '11 18:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "A heavy black volume, amateurishly bound, with no name or title on the cover. The print also looked slightly irregular. The pages were worn at the edges, and fell apart easily, as though the book had passed through many hands."

    Source?
    1984
Back to Top