1. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    26418
    27 Sep '03 17:26

    A famous violinist was in town for a concert. While he was away from his room for a short time his favorite violin, a Stradivarius, was stolen. The inspector took immediate action and , through diligent research, was able to identify four suspects. Each of them makes one statement as follows. The guilty one's statement is false; the other statements are true.

    A. I was not in town at the time of the theft.
    B. C is the culprit.
    C. B's statement is false.
    D. C's statement is true.

    C'mon, if you can mate with a King and a rook against a King you can solve this little riddle.
  2. Standard memberorkyboy
    Looooney Ork
    A galaxy far away
    Joined
    25 Feb '03
    Moves
    8046
    27 Sep '03 21:18
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

    A famous violinist was in town for a concert. While he was away from his room for a short time his favorite violin, a Stradivarius, was stolen. The inspector took immediate action and , through diligent research, was able to identify four suspects. Each of them makes one statement as follows. The guilty one's statement is false; the other statements are ...[text shortened]... on, if you can mate with a King and a rook against a King you can solve this little riddle.
    B
  3. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Joined
    25 Oct '02
    Moves
    20443
    28 Sep '03 11:13
    Originally posted by orkyboy
    B
    B is the thief 🙂
  4. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    26418
    28 Sep '03 12:08
    Originally posted by orkyboy
    B

    Orkyboy, again you've got the correct answer !
    Ten points for you from the Dutch jury !

    Banana Power !

    IvanH
  5. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    26418
    28 Sep '03 12:141 edit
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    B is the thief 🙂
    Hi there Kupikupopo,
    Orkyboy got here first, so .....
    The Dutch jury gives you 2 points ...

    Try eating bananas and blúúúúúúúúeberry tarts
    They'll make you go faster and faster and faster ....... look out, look out, look out, ............ ooooohh 😕

  6. Joined
    09 Jul '03
    Moves
    11668
    28 Sep '03 16:02
    i myself think it was the question master himself that stole it- (i know ur secret) and a,b,c,d were all accolpacies (or some word like that)

    Or

    b (do i get mre points for mentioning b twice i promise that i didnt read the other 2 saying b)
  7. Standard memberorkyboy
    Looooney Ork
    A galaxy far away
    Joined
    25 Feb '03
    Moves
    8046
    28 Sep '03 17:46
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

    Orkyboy, again you've got the correct answer !
    Ten points for you from the Dutch jury !

    Banana Power !

    IvanH
    That banana power is really paying off. Check out my new profile pic. 😉

    Banana Power

    orkyboy
  8. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    26418
    28 Sep '03 21:29
    Originally posted by orkyboy
    That banana power is really paying off. Check out my new profile pic. 😉

    Banana Power

    orkyboy

    I've checked out your profile pic. It's really cool 😵
    and I like your forum avatar too !

    Banana Power !

    Ivanhoe Joe.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    26418
    28 Sep '03 21:33
    Originally posted by mr tanker
    i myself think it was the question master himself that stole it- (i know ur secret) and a,b,c,d were all accolpacies (or some word like that)

    Or

    b (do i get mre points for mentioning b twice i promise that i didnt read the other 2 saying b)

    I like the way you invent new words. Accolpacies ... great !

    One point from the Dutch jury goes to the Baltic republics ...
  10. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    25826
    29 Sep '03 16:54
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

    A famous violinist was in town for a concert. While he was away from his room for a short time his favorite violin, a Stradivarius, was stolen. The inspector took immediate action and , through diligent research, was able to identify four suspects. Each of them makes one statement as follows. The guilty one's statement is false; the other statements are ...[text shortened]... on, if you can mate with a King and a rook against a King you can solve this little riddle.
    A & D's statements could equally well have been "Penguins like fish" and "Fruit flies like a banana".
  11. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    63101
    29 Sep '03 18:42
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    A & D's statements could equally well have been "Penguins like fish" and "Fruit flies like a banana".
    But then how could you know that C wasn't lying, and B was telling the truth?

    Without D's statement to back up C's, there is not enough information to conclusively solve the problem.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    26418
    30 Sep '03 00:54
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    A & D's statements could equally well have been "Penguins like fish" and "Fruit flies like a banana".

    Ho ho bro iamatiger,

    Please reconsider joining the Illustrious Loonies Clan.

    Penguin Power and Banana Power to the Fruitcakes !

    Ivanhoe Joe, Proud member of the Illustrious Loonies Clan

    goad goad goad 😵 😵

    By the way I think you are right about A's statement, but don't tell anybody ... 🙄
  13. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    25826
    30 Sep '03 17:24
    Originally posted by richjohnson
    But then how could you know that C wasn't lying, and B was telling the truth?

    Without D's statement to back up C's, there is not enough information to conclusively solve the problem.
    Ok, Ok, it was late - you got me there! 🙂
Back to Top