Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 22 Jun '07 11:40
    1) How long did the Hundred Years' War last?

    2) Which country makes Panama hats?

    3) From which animal do we get catgut?

    4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October
    Revolution?

    5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?

    6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named
    after what animal?

    7) What was King George VI's first name?

    8) What color is a purple finch?

    9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?

    10) What is the color of the black box in a
    commercial airplane?
  2. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    22 Jun '07 12:05
    Originally posted by demonseed
    1) How long did the Hundred Years' War last?

    2) Which country makes Panama hats?

    3) From which animal do we get catgut?

    4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October
    Revolution?

    5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?

    6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named
    after what animal?

    7) What was King George VI's firs ...[text shortened]... se gooseberries from?

    10) What is the color of the black box in a
    commercial airplane?
    1 - 100 years
    2 - Spain
    3 - fish
    4 - October
    5 - camel hair
    6 - Kangaroo
    7 - George
    8 - purple
    9 - Portugal
    10 - black

    Phew...hope I passed
  3. 22 Jun '07 12:10
    Originally posted by Ramned
    1 - 100 years
    2 - Spain
    3 - fish
    4 - October
    5 - camel hair
    6 - Kangaroo
    7 - George
    8 - purple
    9 - Portugal
    10 - black

    Phew...hope I passed
    You scored 0/10.

    Maybe it's not so easy...
  4. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    22 Jun '07 12:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by demonseed
    You scored 0/10.

    Maybe it's not so easy...
    Ok, to be serious, I know that the H Y war was like 115 or close to that.
    And George VI - that is a title. Kings didn't necesarily use their first names. And the Russian Calendar was different back then.
  5. 22 Jun '07 12:43
    Originally posted by demonseed
    1) How long did the Hundred Years' War last?

    2) Which country makes Panama hats?

    3) From which animal do we get catgut?

    4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October
    Revolution?

    5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?

    6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named
    after what animal?

    7) What was King George VI's firs ...[text shortened]... se gooseberries from?

    10) What is the color of the black box in a
    commercial airplane?
    1 - 116 years
    2 - Ecuador
    3 - Usually sheep, but also goats are common, and sometimes pigs too
    4 - November
    5 - Generally, ponies. Ocassionally, some other animals on top
    6 - Canary dogs
    7 - Albert
    8 - red/pink + brown
    9 - New Zealand
    10 - Usually yellow
  6. 22 Jun '07 13:27
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    1 - 116 years
    2 - Ecuador
    3 - Usually sheep, but also goats are common, and sometimes pigs too
    4 - November
    5 - Generally, ponies. Ocassionally, some other animals on top
    6 - Canary dogs
    7 - Albert
    8 - red/pink + brown
    9 - New Zealand
    10 - Usually yellow
    Very good.

    I got this email with a messaage stating that 4 is needed to pass, I got 6.

    For number three the answer given is sheep or horses but allowing for a right answer on that question you still only score 7/10 according to my answers.
  7. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    22 Jun '07 15:51
    6. Is there a Canary Island in Pacific? The Canary Islands in Atlantic are named after dogs (from the Latin 'canis' cos they were at one time full of dogs.

    10. I think Black Boxes are yellow/black bands like a bumblebee.
  8. 22 Jun '07 16:19
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    6. Is there a Canary Island in Pacific? The Canary Islands in Atlantic are named after dogs (from the Latin 'canis' cos they were at one time full of dogs.

    10. I think Black Boxes are yellow/black bands like a bumblebee.
    The Canaries answer is correct but I have a different colour for the black box.
  9. 22 Jun '07 16:56
    Originally posted by demonseed
    The Canaries answer is correct but I have a different colour for the black box.
    thinks its orange
  10. 22 Jun '07 17:10
    Originally posted by trevor33
    thinks its orange
    And you are correct sir.
  11. 22 Jun '07 17:20
    Originally posted by demonseed
    1) How long did the Hundred Years' War last?

    2) Which country makes Panama hats?

    3) From which animal do we get catgut?

    4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October
    Revolution?

    5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?

    6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named
    after what animal?

    7) What was King George VI's firs ...[text shortened]... se gooseberries from?

    10) What is the color of the black box in a
    commercial airplane?
    i got 5, had never heard of 8 or 9 before. wasn't sure about 1, i knew it was over 100 years but didn't know the exact length. 4 had to be the easiest one though, everyone knows that, don't they?
  12. 23 Jun '07 08:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by demonseed
    And you are correct sir.
    I've seen a black box, it was yellow. I would also pursuade that my other answers are too correct, with most of them coming from my own knowledge rather than "trick question answers" lists
  13. 23 Jun '07 13:33
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    I've seen a black box, it was yellow. I would also pursuade that my other answers are too correct, with most of them coming from my own knowledge rather than "trick question answers" lists
    Such misplaced arrogance ...

    Was the blackbox on a commercial airline?

    You give more than one answer to the colour question, so think again matey!
  14. 24 Jun '07 13:41
    I'm aware it's probably misplaced arrogance, but I cannot see how any of my answers could be wrong.
    To the finch one:
    you cannot really give one colour. I've seen a purple finch, possibly more than one, but only one I remember when I was in Canada.
    It had a red tuft of fur on its head, pinkish chest with some white, and brown wings and tail.

    And about the colour of the black box, I cannot remember what sort of black box it was, and looking around, they appear to be also available in red as well as yellow and orange. There are also a couple of examples of them that are black, so I could change my answer to black just to be snooty.
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    25 Jun '07 07:28
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    I've seen a black box, it was yellow. I would also pursuade that my other answers are too correct, with most of them coming from my own knowledge rather than "trick question answers" lists
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Caixa-Preta_GOL.jpg