1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 22:02
    Hello, all and sundry. I had an idea lately, which I was wondering if a biochemist might be able to refute.

What about using glucagon for weight loss - most 'fat' that people have amassed is carbohydrate based, and by injecting large amounts of glucagon, thus releasing it into the blood stream, in conjunction with drinking lots of water, would result in large amounts of sugar being urinated out - and a quick reduction in body mass.

I would assume that glucagon could be cultured in a similar way to insulin, vis genetic modification of bacteria, so getting it would not be a huge problem.

What do you guys think? Would it upset the bodies natural balance or have I hit jackpot and can go out and make my riches?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 22:51
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    Hello, all and sundry. I had an idea lately, which I was wondering if a biochemist might be able to refute.

What about using glucagon for weight loss - most 'fat' that people have amassed is carbohydrate based, and by injecting large amounts of glucagon, thus releasing it into the blood stream, in conjunction with drinking lots of water, would r ...[text shortened]... d it upset the bodies natural balance or have I hit jackpot and can go out and make my riches?
    Don't quit your day job......
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 23:28

What about using glucagon for weight loss - most 'fat' that people have amassed is carbohydrate based, and by injecting large amounts of glucagon, thus releasing it into the blood stream, in conjunction with drinking lots of water, would r ...[text shortened]... d it upset the bodies natural balance or have I hit jackpot and can go out and make my riches?
    It should cause high blood sugar which is what causes diabetics to lose limbs from small cuts, I think.
  4. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    19 Jul '08 15:16
    But only for a short period of time, and then it would be filtered out by the kidneys.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Jul '08 19:18
    But only for a short period of time, and then it would be filtered out by the kidneys.
    It could work! Who knows?
  6. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 20:37
    Can you say "kidney failure"?
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 14:15
    If you want to lose weight, the only thing that's really, really, really gonna help is if you burn more calories a day than you eat.

End of story.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 18:59
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    If you want to lose weight, the only thing that's really, really, really gonna help is if you burn more calories a day than you eat.

End of story.
    And that means the dreaded E word: Exercise.
    Like I should talk, trying to get under 100 Kilo's, while playing chess on the computer🙂 Hey since the brain takes up 20% of the energy budget of the body, I figure the more you use your brain, the more calories you use up and therefore bound to lose weight, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree