1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 21:321 edit
    Originally posted by dinosaurus
    Does Correolis Acceleration also contribute to movement of the golf ball? This is an additional effect of accelleration due to a body's angular accelleration in a system that already has an angular acceleration. This is what makes whirlpools move the same way in the northern hemisphere and stuff like that.
    You'd have to drive it a hell of a long way to notice any effect from the Coriolis effect. It's only really relevant on large scales.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 04:59
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    or baseball or that matter. When a player strikes the ball with a club or a bat what difference does "follow through" make? It appears that as soon as the ball is struck it leaves the instrument that struck it. Would it not make logical sense that if the club or bat stopped immediately, the ball would still go the same distance without follow through.
    My guess it it guarantees that you hit the ball with all your might without fatiguing yourself. If you don't follow through, you are using muscular energy to slow down the club and/or simply not hitting it with full strength.
  3. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 08:14
    When you hit a ball, even solid balls like golf balls, the ball undergoes a force that
    causes compression. The longer the moment of a balls compression, in the case
    of a golf ball which consists of a ball of oil surrounded by elastic bands and a hard
    exterior, the greater the compressional stress the ball observes.
    This translates directly into a reactive force away from the bat and a clacking sound.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree