1. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 05:53
    Just because something hasn't been done yet can you call it impossible? No matter how bizzare can anything be called impossible?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 06:12
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    Just because something hasn't been done yet can you call it impossible? No matter how bizzare can anything be called impossible?
    (1) If the only reason is that 'it has never been done' then it's no way to tell if it's impossible or not.

(2) If it violates the laws of the nature, known or not, then it is truly impossible.
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 06:15
    Is a law of nature fact only because a better explanation of a given event hasn't been found?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 06:35
    Is a law of nature fact only because a better explanation of a given event hasn't been found?
    A law of nature is absolute regardless if man has found it or not, formulated it as a law or not.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 06:39
    We can call anything we like 'impossible'. Whether or not it is impossible may be unknowable, but I think that in some cases we can be pretty sure. Certainly I am very very sure that there are some things that are impossible and I am equally sure that I know some of them.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 10:514 edits
    If you agree that falsifiability, not verifiability, is the demarcation criterion then no logically possible statement is empirically impossible.

So only logically contradictory statements/things can be said to be "impossible".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree