1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 12:00
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    They tried to change the clocks, but it never caught on.
    The thing with metricising the clocks is that you can't do it thoroughly. You can have 10 days to the week, 10 hours to the day, 100 minutes to the hour and 100 seconds to the minute, but what you can't do is make the Earth go round the Sun in exactly 100 times the period in which it turns around its own axis, nor make the Moon go round in a neat number of days.
    So while you can give us 100 cents to the euro, and 100 cm to the metre, instead of 12 pence to the shilling (or was it 12 s. to the L.?), or 13 furlongs to the firkin, and have that whole system completely stitched up with round factors to the last unit, no matter what you do with time, you'll always end up with weird factors there. So, most people apparently conclude, you might as well not bother to come up with half a solution.

Richard
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 12:22
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This means that I can tell an engineer from a scientist bu just asking him how tall he is?
    Does he answer 6 foot 8, then he is an engineer. Does he answer 180 centimeter, then he is a scientist. Does he answer 4 gallon, he is... eh, what?

How tall are you, AThousandYoung?
    You asked about the university level. At the casual level we use Imperial. I'm 6'.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 14:17
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    The thing with metricising the clocks is that you can't do it thoroughly. You can have 10 days to the week, 10 hours to the day, 100 minutes to the hour and 100 seconds to the minute, but what you can't do is make the Earth go round the Sun in exactly 100 times the period in which it turns around its own axis, nor make the Moon go round in a neat number ...[text shortened]... apparently conclude, you might as well not bother to come up with half a solution.

Richard
    That is because we are so fixed on making the day and year both critical parts of our time system. Most other measuring systems would have similar problems if we insisted on similar constraints.

I would welcome a decimal time system even if the years didn't fit in. We could still keep track of the seasons etc without too much trouble.
    It must also be noted that many parts of the world do use a yearly and monthly calendar quite different from the western standard.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 14:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is because we are so fixed on making the day and year both critical parts of our time system. Most other measuring systems would have similar problems if we insisted on similar constraints.

I would welcome a decimal time system even if the years didn't fit in. We could still keep track of the seasons etc without too much trouble.
    It must also be ...[text shortened]... ts of the world do use a yearly and monthly calendar quite different from the western standard.
    Astronomers use Julian day number. Within a day they use decimals. The same time all over the planet, no time zones, no daylight saving time. Makes it very easy to calculate the position of celestial bodies.
  5. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 14:501 edit
    Yes, I read something about that. Some mixup between inch and centimeters, wasn't it?

At university level, what kind of units are used, nowadays?

England switched to decimal system in some respect, Australia has done it. How much progress is US doing?

Noone thinks that 100 cents on a dollar is awkward. On the other hand everone accepts 60 minutes an hour... 😕
    We use almost entirely metric units in University, as well as in industry for most engineering applications. That doesn't mean that I don't give my height in ft and in though, because even though most people know how far a meter is, it's just not common usage for height of a person.

Same with speed in miles/hour...if I'm doing a calculation in a physics/engineering class, I would convert that to m/s, but it's not common usage for vehicles.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 16:34
    Astronomers use Julian day number. Within a day they use decimals. The same time all over the planet, no time zones, no daylight saving time. Makes it very easy to calculate the position of celestial bodies.
    Well then, the way is obvious: We speed up the rotation of the Earth to exactly 25 hours, move the moon's orbit to make it exactly 50 days, move the Earth's orbit out a bit to make the year exactly 500 days. It seems the only thing to do......
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 06:06

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 18:06

9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '08 08:42

10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Jul '08 09:35

11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Jul '08 10:24

12. Forum Moderator
    30 Jul '08 10:32
    A Reminder: Off-topic posts are liable to be removed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree