1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:13
    @sonhouse
    Exactly, no artificial intelligence is needed for peeling a lettuce head. Just a program with an enough sophistication to solve the problem. When I and the program can discuss how it is doing it, and what it thinks about it, preferably in my language, then we're talking about an intelligent program. Not before.

Yet, if the buyer of this peeling system thinks it's worth the money, well, what am I to say anything about it. But from the AI perspective, I'm not impressed.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 14:56
    @fabianfnas said
    @sonhouse
    Exactly, no artificial intelligence is needed for peeling a lettuce head. Just a program with an enough sophistication to solve the problem. When I and the program can discuss how it is doing it, and what it thinks about it, preferably in my language, then we're talking about an intelligent program. Not before.

Yet, if the buyer of this peeling system thinks ...[text shortened]... the money, well, what am I to say anything about it. But from the AI perspective, I'm not impressed.
    Maybe we need to change the definition of AI, instead of 'artificial intelligence' maybe it should be 'Artificially talented at a limited number of tasks'
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 11:01
    @sonhouse said
    Maybe we need to change the definition of AI, instead of 'artificial intelligence' maybe it should be 'Artificially talented at a limited number of tasks'
    Yeah, good luck with that.

Do you remember the times when the term 'super computer' was defined as 'a computer faster than IBM's fastest computer'? IBM complained because they couldn't ever produce a supercomputer according to this definition.

The first midlly efficient chess program was called AI so the definition is evolving with time. In ten years of time our AI are probably not considered AI by their standards and definitions.

So why not just consider AI as true intelligence artificially produced. When I can have an intelligent conversation with a program with general learning capabilities, then I will consider it AI, but that time will never come.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 15:391 edit
    @fabianfnas said
    Yeah, good luck with that.

Do you remember the times when the term 'super computer' was defined as 'a computer faster than IBM's fastest computer'? IBM complained because they couldn't ever produce a supercomputer according to this definition.

The first midlly efficient chess program was called AI so the definition is evolving with time. In ten years of time our AI a ...[text shortened]... ogram with general learning capabilities, then I will consider it AI, but that time will never come.
    Do you remember a magazine called MIPS? It was dedicated to computers with the astounding capability of more than a million calculations per second! When CPU's started coming out with the incredible speed of 100 megahertz, they folded😉
    I guess they never thought to just change the name to GIGS! I imagine they thought ATT there could NEVER be such a computer capable of a billion calcs per second!
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Oct '18 09:592 edits
    @sunhouse
    Moores law in action!
    If only I got twice as good every 18 months, then I would be happy. And my boss too...
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Oct '18 11:191 edit
    @fabianfnas said
    @sunhouse
    Moores law in action!
    If only I got twice as good every 18 months, then I would be happy. And my boss too...
    Indeed. Your car would get 10,000 km per gallon of fuel, cost 50 Euro's and needing little maintenance!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree