1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 13:30
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Ahh, big business, say no more. Where the idea is that "the money is the thing, everything else is less important." But it might be a good idea to at least feign interest in science, if you're going to claim to be a science/tech company.
    I think they were not interested in science per se, only the money to be made in its application, so Lucent was all about engineering innovation and that is as far as it got science wise.

The days of the company pure science days are way over. I used to love to be assigned to Bell Labs in New Jersey, a mecca of pure science. Now that is all over, Bell Labs now is a ghost town. My buddy Debbie is a ceramics scientist who actually is one of the few to be rehired at Bell Labs, what is left of it now, down from about 6000 people to a few hundred today.

Back in the day, Bell labs was a thriving scientific community but those days are all over and there is nothing like it much left in the entire country now.

There are a few, like Lawrence labs but they are way in the minority now. It's sad really.

It just is another example of why the US is losing the edge on science to other countries like China and Brazil.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree