Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 04 Feb '10 04:51
    http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/marine-algae-harness-power-quantum-mechanics?page=

    Marine Algae Found to Harness Power of Quantum Mechanics

    If algae can do it, why can't we?
    By Jeremy Hsu Posted 02.03.2010 at 4:58 pm

    Scientists still struggle to understand and harness the spooky physics of quantum mechanics, but nature may have a head start on us humans. Tiny marine algae apparently use the mysterious phenomenon called superposition -- where a particle can be in two places at the same time -- to move around solar energy they harvest through the process of photosynthesis.

    This astounding find suggests that biological creatures may have adapted quantum mechanics for survival billions of years ago. ....
  2. 04 Feb '10 05:12
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/marine-algae-harness-power-quantum-mechanics?page=

    Marine Algae Found to Harness Power of Quantum Mechanics

    If algae can do it, why can't we?
    By Jeremy Hsu Posted 02.03.2010 at 4:58 pm

    Scientists still struggle to understand and harness the spooky physics of quantum mechanics, but nature may have a ...[text shortened]... ological creatures may have adapted quantum mechanics for survival billions of years ago. ....
    A friend of mine does the same thing. When my boss says he is at the storehouse, I've actually seen him at the local pub.
    So he infact exploits the cuantum-mechanic superposition, by being at two places at the same time.
  3. 04 Feb '10 12:40
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    If algae can do it, why can't we?
    Quantum mechanics is simple the science of the very small, and in most cases is taken to mean those phenomena which depart from Newtonian mechanics.
    The truth is that the whole universe runs on quantum mechanics including algae and human beings.
    I am sure that much of the human bodies systems would not work properly if physics was strictly Newtonian.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Feb '10 01:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    A friend of mine does the same thing. When my boss says he is at the storehouse, I've actually seen him at the local pub.
    So he infact exploits the cuantum-mechanic superposition, by being at two places at the same time.
    Does the part that gets drunk communicate drunkedness to the other superpositioned individual?
  5. 05 Feb '10 08:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Does the part that gets drunk communicate drunkedness to the other superpositioned individual?
    If he infact is at two places simultanously, then the part being where his boss thinks he is cloaked, because I've never seen him there.
    When I ask him about it, he doesn't remember, he says, but I know he exploits a quantum-mechanical alternate reality. In one he works, in the other he's drunk.
  6. 05 Feb '10 12:48
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/marine-algae-harness-power-quantum-mechanics?page=

    Marine Algae Found to Harness Power of Quantum Mechanics

    If algae can do it, why can't we?
    By Jeremy Hsu Posted 02.03.2010 at 4:58 pm

    Scientists still struggle to understand and harness the spooky physics of quantum mechanics, but nature may have a ...[text shortened]... ological creatures may have adapted quantum mechanics for survival billions of years ago. ....
    Why can't we... what exactly?