1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 19:421 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, that's just the government by proxy. I partially agree, it's better to fund research more directly aimed towards fundamental research or improving people's lives, but still there could be some spinoff from this research that does have a positive impact on people's lives, analogous to nuclear power.
    Of course it will. At what cost? In the economic benefit of whom? Is the benefit of the taxpayers equivalent or superior to what it was taken from their pockets?

They are just questions. As I say, there's nothing wrong with the research by itself, it just doesn't match with my preferences, e.g. public health over war spending, schools over corporations' benefit, etc.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 22:38
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Of course it will. At what cost? In the economic benefit of whom? Is the benefit of the taxpayers equivalent or superior to what it was taken from their pockets?

They are just questions. As I say, there's nothing wrong with the research by itself, it just doesn't match with my preferences, e.g. public health over war spending, schools over corporations' benefit, etc.
    I guess that depends on the particular level of taxation as well as what the other tax dollars are being spent on.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 23:39
    Country A's military is aware that some researchers are about to have a break-through on a technology that can have important military uses.

Do they:
    - let the research to be funded and conducted by the university with its full results published in academic journals
    - invite the researchers to conduct the research within and for the military, paying and funding them accordingly
    - stop the research and burn all the notes and scientists in a Luddite cult ritual
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '09 00:03
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Boston Dynamics Big Dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww
    Incredible and yes creepy. One day something like that will be our leader!
  5. Joined
    11 Feb '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '09 01:56
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Uhm... crap... same old, same old, it seems.

The U.S., directly or through the IMF, WB, etc. always tries to crush the "populist left-wingers" of other countries (particularly Latin American), and cry foul or a "terrorist attack" on the level playing field (lol), if they dare to put a single coin in subsidies... yet the U.S. puts billions of taxpayers' mo ...[text shortened]... Bleh... I don't know what to think anymore everytime I see these technological advances.
    That was quite a seemingly unprovoked rant. 🙂
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 10:40
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Incredible and yes creepy. One day something like that will be our leader!
    The day of the Robot Nazi Vampire Zombie is almost upon us!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree