1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    17 Oct '13 17:28
    http://phys.org/news/2013-10-mathematical-photosynthesis-path-super-crops.html
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    18 Oct '13 13:49
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2013-10-mathematical-photosynthesis-path-super-crops.html
    That could help in more than just food supplies. It said they use 12X more CO2, so especially gen modded plants could be used as 'weeds' with the express purpose of soaking up CO2, helping the environment.
  3. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    18 Oct '13 18:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That could help in more than just food supplies. It said they use 12X more CO2, so especially gen modded plants could be used as 'weeds' with the express purpose of soaking up CO2, helping the environment.
    All plants soak up CO2, the question is what happens to it after the plant dies. It is often irrelevant how fast it gets soaked up.
    I have heard good arguments that a large part of the cause of global warming is soil degradation by farming and that a large part of the solution to global warming is better farming practices that put carbon into the soil. However it seems to be politically more important to only talk about fossil fuels.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    18 Oct '13 19:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    All plants soak up CO2, the question is what happens to it after the plant dies. It is often irrelevant how fast it gets soaked up.
    I have heard good arguments that a large part of the cause of global warming is soil degradation by farming and that a large part of the solution to global warming is better farming practices that put carbon into the soil. However it seems to be politically more important to only talk about fossil fuels.
    Are there quantitative data on the levels of CO2 from bad farming methods V the level of CO2 from fuels? I don't know, just seems to me with literally tens of millions of vehicles belching away 24/7 would be shoving more CO2 into the atmosphere than farming. Of course I am just guessing.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12732
    18 Oct '13 22:24
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2013-10-mathematical-photosynthesis-path-super-crops.html
    I don't see how you think understanding evolution has anything do with this.

    The Instructor
  6. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    19 Oct '13 06:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Are there quantitative data on the levels of CO2 from bad farming methods V the level of CO2 from fuels? I don't know, just seems to me with literally tens of millions of vehicles belching away 24/7 would be shoving more CO2 into the atmosphere than farming. Of course I am just guessing.
    According to this:
    http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/global.html
    33% of all C02 produced is from land use and agricultural practices.
    Transport is a mere 13%.
    I am not sure where fertilizer production was classified but it too is a big one.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    20 Oct '13 07:371 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I don't see how you think understanding evolution has anything do with this.

    The Idiot
    That's because you have no imagination nor intelligence to be able to understand how.
Back to Top