1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 16:44
    http://www.aquiziam.com/ancient-electricity.html

The heaviest evidence for me is the Baghdad Battery and the electroplated statuary. What do you all think?
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 18:21
    The fur and amber generator and the Baghdad battery seem hard to dismiss.

North America was discovered many times before Columbus stumbled by. I think the same is true of many discoveries and inventions.

I bet there were scrolls about electricity in the ancient Royal Library of Alexandria. πŸ™
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '12 11:48
    Originally posted by apathist
    The fur and amber generator and the Baghdad battery seem hard to dismiss.

North America was discovered many times before Columbus stumbled by. I think the same is true of many discoveries and inventions.

I bet there were scrolls about electricity in the ancient Royal Library of Alexandria. πŸ™
    Yeah, that was a great loss to mankind. Millions of scrolls. If I had a time machine, the first place I would visit is a couple of years before the fire and bring with me a nice digital camera with a few dozen 128 gig SD cards and a LOT of batteries or some kind of solar cell charger to keep up. Can you imagine what we would find there?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 19:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, that was a great loss to mankind. Millions of scrolls. If I had a time machine, the first place I would visit is a couple of years before the fire and bring with me a nice digital camera with a few dozen 128 gig SD cards and a LOT of batteries or some kind of solar cell charger to keep up. Can you imagine what we would find there?
    The greatest loss was probably Eastern Mathematics and possibly some interesting historical astronomy. The math was all rediscovered by 1700 I guess.

I often wonder if the Ancient world had any calculus???
  5. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 22:56
    More interesting would be the things they discovered that are beyond our grasp.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    20 Dec '12 17:56
    recipes for camel nut soup and the like....
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 07:40
    Originally posted by uzless
    recipes for camel nut soup and the like....
    If you haven't tried it don't knock itπŸ™‚
  8. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 13:20
    http://www.aquiziam.com/ancient-electricity.html

The heaviest evidence for me is the Baghdad Battery and the electroplated statuary. What do you all think?
    It would be nice to find a mummy with headphones on plugged into an I Pod somewhere nears the pyramids. The Bagdad battery will have to do for now I guess.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Dec '12 12:56
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    It would be nice to find a mummy with headphones on plugged into an I Pod somewhere nears the pyramids. The Bagdad battery will have to do for now I guess.
    If the battery was real, it was a short trip to making electric motors but that never happened. It was probably steeped in religious dogma and you know how fast THAT changes....
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Dec '12 14:19
    If the battery was real, it was a short trip to making electric motors but that never happened. It was probably steeped in religious dogma and you know how fast THAT changes....
    Yes but do you think they made a light bulb?
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 Dec '12 20:111 edit
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Yes but do you think they made a light bulb?
    if religious dogma was involved, not in a million years.
    You really need free rational independent thinking that is, at least just for a moment, free from the shackles of religion for there to be any hope of one insight to lead to another.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Dec '12 11:09
    Originally posted by humy
    if religious dogma was involved, not in a million years.
    You really need free rational independent thinking that is, at least just for a moment, free from the shackles of religion for there to be any hope of one insight to lead to another.
    That's exactly what I think happened. The battery was used to silver and gold plate statues but the technology was in the hands of priests and my guess is the last priest who knew the techniques involved died before he could pass it along to the next acolyte and bye bye electricity.

It sounds like it could make a great alternate universe story where he DIDN'T die and someone got curious about what was going on with it and the result was we walked on the moon 2000 years ago.......
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 02:10
    .. the last priest who knew the techniques involved died before he could pass it along to the next acolyte ...

If that had happened would he have been the first electrolyte?

πŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree