1. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 07:07
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    Clouds do "fall" when the droplets get too big. It's called rain.
    No, that is the water only, leaving the air behind.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 07:10
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Yes, the cloud would fall. But at an extremely slow rate - as I posted earlier, a cloud will naturally fall from gravity. But again, because of drag, it would take a couple of years to reach the ground.
    Only if the average density difference is minimal. If there is a significant difference then there will be a down-draft. Because of drag, the water will pull the air down with it.
  3. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 15:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, that is the water only, leaving the air behind.
    What are clouds made of? I don't think it's air.
  4. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 17:003 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    If it was just drag, then air would fall to the surface, eventually. It doesn't, because of pressure.
    Air is a gas. Water droplets in clouds are a liquid. Water droplets aren't affected by pressure. You can't compress water.

Yes, if the air contained in the cloud dropped because of a change in pressure in the air below the cloud, the water in the cloud would drop along with the air (And indeed, clouds tend to fall during the evening and rise during the day). But that's a different issue than the OP's issue of why the water in the cloud doesn't crash to the ground.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 18:24
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]If it was just drag, then air would fall to the surface, eventually. It doesn't, because of pressure.

Air is a gas. Water droplets in clouds are a liquid. Water droplets aren't affected by pressure. You can't compress water.

Yes, if the air contained in the cloud dropped because of a change in pressure ...[text shortened]... an the OP's issue of why the water in the cloud doesn't crash to the ground.[/b]
    Well, small water droplets are not unaffected by pressure, of course. But apart from that, the density in water droplets is still much higher than in the air around it, so you're right it's drag holding them up.
  6. Joined
    26 May '10
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 20:11
    heavy enough clouds do fall, they are called micro-bursts
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 20:48
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    What are clouds made of? I don't think it's air.
    Since we talked about 'average density' I assume that we are talking about clouds consisting of both tiny water droplets and the air between them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree