1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 04:07
    Have a new comp, a gift actually, would have gotten something else but what can you do: HP pavillion Slimline, very small box, 2 gigs of ram, single DVD burner, photo card inputs, internet, thats about it. So this problem comes up when you put the comp to sleep:
    It doesn't wake up on its own, you have to turn off power and restart which causes a chain of events, one being the blue screen of death with a physical memory dump, then a restart screen, you know, the safe mode, bla bla bla screen, but no 'go to last known good place' message, and you hit restart normally and it comes back up. So I called HP support, they did some diagnostics and got rid of temp files and so forth and prefetch stuff and reset power options, allow mouse or keyboard to wake up the comp and all that. So we did all that and if it goes to sleep, it still doesn't wake up on its own. So the dude consulted with his internal guru's and informed me this is a 'known Vista issue' with as yet no known solution. This comp came with Vist home premium with SP1 already installed. Anyone else have this kind of problem? A temporary workaround is we set it up so it goes to sleep never but that is not a solution just a workaround. So does anyone else have this problem with Vista machines?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 04:54
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Have a new comp, a gift actually, would have gotten something else but what can you do: HP pavillion Slimline, very small box, 2 gigs of ram, single DVD burner, photo card inputs, internet, thats about it. So this problem comes up when you put the comp to sleep:
    It doesn't wake up on its own, you have to turn off power and restart which causes a chain of e ...[text shortened]... a solution just a workaround. So does anyone else have this problem with Vista machines?
    I have a HP with Vista. My experience is that sometimes it takes time to wake up, but it's never in coma.

My problem is sound. The windows sounds is crisp but everything else is like in a big tin can.
  3. Australia
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 09:23
    It doesn't wake up on its own, you have to turn off power and restart which causes a chain of e ...[text shortened]... a solution just a workaround. So does anyone else have this problem with Vista machines?
    I also have a HP Pavillion with Vista + the latest service pack, and whilst I often consider upgrading it to XP (just cause I don't like the feel of the OS), I dont have the problems you are describing.

Although I did remove the vendors build from the laptop and reinstall Vista myself from day one to ensure I didn't have any unwanted crap within the OS.

Good luck
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 10:32
    Originally posted by timebombted
    I also have a HP Pavillion with Vista + the latest service pack, and whilst I often consider upgrading it to XP (just cause I don't like the feel of the OS), I dont have the problems you are describing.

Although I did remove the vendors build from the laptop and reinstall Vista myself from day one to ensure I didn't have any unwanted crap within the OS.

Good luck
    I wish I had that option. This pc didn't come with any disks to re-install a fresh windows copy.
  5. Standard memberStarValleyWy
    BentnevolentDictater
    x10,y45,z-88,t3.1415
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 22:011 edit
    It doesn't wake up on its own, you have to turn off power and restart which causes a chain of e a solution just a workaround. So does anyone else have this problem with Vista machines?
    Go to your Control Panel and get inside then click "other options" or something like that... and at the left you should see the option of "classic view" or something like that. Then on the classic list, pick "Power Options" and from there you want to select what Vista calls "Power Saver" or "Energy Saver" or whatever. You can also customize if you want. I think there are several ways to get into "Power Options", but I have only set up seven or eight Vista machines and I tend not to pay close attention once I have figured out a single path... Kind of like a chimp... 😀

I am not in front of a Vista machine, so I can't be any better help than memory allows. You should be able to get it to hibernate after fifteen minutes or so of non-use, then come to life (drives and monitor) when you move the mouse.

Good Luck buddy!
  6. Australia
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 22:51
    I wish I had that option. This pc didn't come with any disks to re-install a fresh windows copy.
    If the latest patches don't resolve the situation, I'd at least uninstall all un-necessary vendor crap, then go into Windows defender where you can disable programs from starting up at power on (if this doesn't help it will at least make the OS run a little quicker).
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 01:36
    You might want to try

PC Decrapifier should help remove various unneeded items:
    http://pcdecrapifier.com/

Adaware from Lavasoft is a good product that allows you to scan for spyware every once in a while:
    http://lavasoft.com/
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 03:20
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You might want to try

PC Decrapifier should help remove various unneeded items:
    http://pcdecrapifier.com/

Adaware from Lavasoft is a good product that allows you to scan for spyware every once in a while:
    http://lavasoft.com/
    I like that, decrapifier! SVW, we did all that, all the power options basically turned off now but it still goes comatose. After I saw all those power options I thought we had it licked but no. We also killed temp files and %temp% files and killed prefetch stuff but to no avail. Thats when he (support dude) came up with the statement the comatose thing is a 'known vista glitch' and said the only thing to do was to format the HD and reload windows again. Of course, after I have several gigs of my own stuff on it now🙂
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 03:42
    I have a Dell with Vista home premium and I have no complaints. It is slow to wake up from the deep coma and had to learn some patience. All in all, I'm gussing about 15 - 20 seconds of getting nervous about that coma state. No big deal.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 05:54
    Originally posted by coquette
    I have a Dell with Vista home premium and I have no complaints. It is slow to wake up from the deep coma and had to learn some patience. All in all, I'm gussing about 15 - 20 seconds of getting nervous about that coma state. No big deal.
    Actually, that's how it went the first couple weeks but then I noticed it got longer and longer to wake up till one day, it's sleeping beauty time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree