Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member ptobler
    Patzer
    30 Mar '18 06:09
    Looks like Terry Tao et al. are making a concerted effort towards resolving the Riemann Hypothesis in the Polymath 15 threads on his blog
  2. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    31 Mar '18 00:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @ptobler
    Looks like Terry Tao et al. are making a concerted effort towards resolving the Riemann Hypothesis in the Polymath 15 threads on his blog
    I wonder what it would mean to the science world or the math world if it was solved? BTW, on your game with Amir Abari, don't know if that is the only one you played with him, you resigned because of the queen rook fork, but after black king moves, if white takes rook, you would have perpet, Q-f4+ and either Q-f2 or f1 depending on the defense, pawn up attacks queen or king just moves it is back and forth check.
  3. 31 Mar '18 05:19
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I wonder what it would mean to the science world or the math world if it was solved? BTW, on your game with Amir Abari, don't know if that is the only one you played with him, you resigned because of the queen rook fork, but after black king moves, if white takes rook, you would have perpet, Q-f4+ and either Q-f2 or f1 depending on the defense, pawn up attacks queen or king just moves it is back and forth check.
    Many theorems have been proven contingent upon the hypothesis being true.
    So if it's proven, then many results follow immediately.
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    31 Mar '18 13:34
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Many theorems have been proven contingent upon the hypothesis being true.
    So if it's proven, then many results follow immediately.
    Any predictions as to what would follow, like effecting say, medical research and such? I know there is a new use for AlphaGo in my post about "retrosynthesis' in terms of efficiently finding new chemistry and such.
  5. 31 Mar '18 22:31
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Any predictions as to what would follow, like effecting say, medical research and such? I know there is a new use for AlphaGo in my post about "retrosynthesis' in terms of efficiently finding new chemistry and such.
    If the Riemann Hypothesis's proven, I doubt that it will have any direct effect soon upon ordinary people's lives.
    It might have some influence upon cryptography (encryption involving prime numbers).
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    01 Apr '18 00:20
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    If the Riemann Hypothesis's proven, I doubt that it will have any direct effect soon upon ordinary people's lives.
    It might have some influence upon cryptography (encryption involving prime numbers).
    Ok, thanks.