1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Feb '13 02:37
    Back of the Bus

The Science Forum accounts for an incredibly low 1.3% of total Red Hot Pawn Forum Threads (1,359/103,015).
    Scientific Breakthroughs and Discoveries populate the media news. Wonder why there's such little interest here.

Comments.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Feb '13 03:50
    Because we easily absorb the news and don't see any big controversy worth post-spitting about. The science threads tend to be hey look what I just learned.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    02 Feb '13 09:514 edits
    The vast bulk of the science news is either too speculative (sometimes so speculative as to be meaningless) or doesn't really give anything new or is mainly hype and/or of little or no real substance.
    The problem is it is relatively rare to get science news that is actually worth taking about -most of it being pretty boring.

I hope I am wrong about this but I predict that this situation is just going to just get worse with time as more and more of the 'easy' significant scientific discoveries are made leaving just the 'hard' ones that we may might not make for many centuries and as the research becomes more and more incremental in nature with each increment merely applying or building on top of old knowledge rather than making spectacular radical insights.
    Basically, I fear that scientific discovery is going to become boring.
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    02 Feb '13 10:17
    Originally posted by humy
    The vast bulk of the science news is either too speculative (sometimes so speculative as to be meaningless) or doesn't really give anything new or is mainly hype and/or of little or no real substance.
    The problem is it is relatively rare to get science news that is actually worth taking about -most of it being pretty boring.

I hope I am wrong about this bu ...[text shortened]... r radical insights.
    Basically, I fear that scientific discovery is going to become boring.
    You're kidding me, right?

You obviously don't read about new discoveries, and how they will be implemented very soon. 🙁

-.... .
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '13 11:521 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    You're kidding me, right?

You obviously don't read about new discoveries, and how they will be implemented very soon. 🙁

-.... .
    Yeah as I said in spirituality... This may be a good place to come for a knock down
    argument but not the greatest place for science news or discussion.

I for one tend to get that elsewhere.

Although I do get the odd bit here.

However the idea that science is getting boring... You [Humy] evidently haven't being paying attention.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Feb '13 13:372 edits
    Personally, I am buoyed up by scientific discovery. They seem to be coming fast and furiously now. A lot of the articles in pubs like PhysOrg.com are eye candy of course, but there are real gems in there if you look long enough.

For instance, here is a very new piece there that can lead to meaningful treatments for many diseases like cancer and such:

http://phys.org/news/2013-02-caught-capture-key-moments-cell.html

This kind of article is not eye candy, but a harbinger of new hope for those with devastating diseases. And of course we know this kind of discovery is not going to bring about relief in the next couple of weeks but more like 4 or 5 years.

But here is an example of the more eye candy sort: One of those, I THINK we can come up with something if they just throw enough money at us kind of science:

http://phys.org/news/2013-02-physics-effort-quantum-theory.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree