1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 18:49
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46859000
    One third of bat population die in heat-wave.

Dr Justin Welbergen, an ecologist says
    "This sort of event has not happened in Australia
    this far north since human settlement,"

More evidence of global warming.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 19:022 edits
    @wolfgang59

“Weather” isn’t “Climate”.

This brings up an interesting question:

When exactly does weather become climate? Right now the answer among alarmist and deniers alike is “whenever it conveniently supports my side of the argument”.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 19:31
    @joe-shmo said
    @wolfgang59

When exactly does weather become climate? Right now the answer among alarmist and deniers alike is “whenever it conveniently supports my side of the argument”.
    When former extremes are exceeded and the average weather changes significantly over a long period of time like a year.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 20:101 edit
    @AThousandYoung

Is that the precise definition - the scientific definition? Can you verify your claim precisely with peer reviewed literature?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 01:46
    @joe-shmo said
    @wolfgang59

When an indigenous species adapted to the climate has a 30% mortality
    rate due to the temperature maybe it is time to think about climate?

Or do you think species adapt to weather?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 03:053 edits
    @wolfgang59

Species do adapt to weather. The warm blooded adaptation is a clear example of an adaption for fluctuating weather. As with anything, it has its limitations...which is unfortunate for the bats.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 03:34
    @joe-shmo said
    @wolfgang59

Species do adapt to weather. The warm blooded adaptation is a clear example of an adaption for fluctuating weather. As with anything, it has its limitations...which is unfortunate for the bats.
    Fluctuating weather? ... that would be climate wouldn't it?

I cannot see a species adapting to cloud overhead.
    Or a red sky at night.

Species adapt for their climate.
    When a species starts dying because of climate change that is surely a warning.
    And some people care.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 14:35
    @wolfgang59 said
    Fluctuating weather? ... that would be climate wouldn't it?

I cannot see a species adapting to cloud overhead.
    Or a red sky at night.

Species adapt for their climate.
    When a species starts dying because of climate change that is surely a warning.
    And some people care.
    They are not the same. I was referring to the amplitude of the stimulus, not the statistical mean of all stimulus summed over some arbitrary period of time. The warm blooded adaptation was in response to the extremes of weather, mainly temperature.

If we look at some arbitrary periodic signal with varying amplitude and mean, some adaption to the mean value isn't going to be very helpful, because it is the fluctuations that are the killers. They must be able to cover the variability on the stimulus if they are to survive. Obviously there are physiological limits to how wide the temperature gap can be for the warm blooded adaptation to be sufficient for survival, so an adaptation humans made was a large brain, which enables us to shape and control our personal environment. That again, not an adaptation to the mean value of a stimulus, but to the variability of the stimulus. The bats didn't have that last one.

Animals adapt to what is happening to them now, not some statistical measure invented by humans to tame chaos projected forward in time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree