1. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 22:321 edit
    Did anyone see that article about recreating a black hole event horizon using 2 different wavelength lasers and some fiber optics? Its seems quite clever....

I was hoping someone better at physics could explain it in simpler terms, the article a friend emailed me was quite complicated and hard to follow. I gave up physics after 2 years in university but still have an interest.... He seems to forget that unlike him I don't have a MSc in theoretical physics...
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 22:34
    Originally posted by Mexico
    It truely is golden. 😛
  3. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 22:36
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    It truely is golden. 😛
    Sorry smartarse I accidentally hit return when typing in the subject.....
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 22:45
    Sorry smartarse I accidentally hit return when typing in the subject.....
    http://www.lolst.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/lolst_orly.jpg
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 22:46
    Did anyone see that article about recreating a black hole event horizon using 2 different wavelength lasers and some fiber optics? Its seems quite clever....

I was hoping someone better at physics could explain it in simpler terms, the article a friend emailed me was quite complicated and hard to follow. I gave up physics after 2 years in university but st ...[text shortened]... an interest.... He seems to forget that unlike him I don't have a MSc in theoretical physics...
    Can you post a link to the article or something... I haven't heard about this before.
  6. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 22:46
    It truely is golden. 😛
    This is very scientific. 😛
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 22:471 edit
    Originally posted by kenan
    This is very scientific. 😛
    We gotta lighten up sometimes 😉

Edit: Not to mention the irony of your post 😛
  8. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 22:48
    Can you post a link to the article or something... I haven't heard about this before.
    Its in my gmail account somewhere ill try find it.......
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 23:02
    Its in my gmail account somewhere ill try find it.......
    If you do find it post it here please.
  10. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 23:08
    If you do find it post it here please.
    Think I deleted it, here's the slashdot version and a few others.... bit too simple by comparison to the one I got which I still don't know where came from.... I'll ask him thou next time I email him

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/14/1633250

http://www.fiberopticsonline.com/content/news/article.asp?docid=%7B14545B85-F64C-41E1-80E7-5125187AB055%7D&VNETCOOKIE=NO
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 01:22
    Think I deleted it, here's the slashdot version and a few others.... bit too simple by comparison to the one I got which I still don't know where came from.... I'll ask him thou next time I email him

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/14/1633250

http://www.fiberopticsonline.com/content/news/article.asp?docid=%7B14545B85-F64C-41E1-80E7-5125187AB055%7D&VNETCOOKIE=NO
    From what I understood it's only a non-linear wave phenomena that simulates some black hole's characteristics. It's not a real black hole.

Adam, the soliton men, you know more about this than me.
  12. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 01:28
    True but what I got from it was that it can be taken as a proxy of the event horizon? . And that if they heat it up they should see the radiation hawking postulated......your better at physics than me thou

I do rocks...
    And Volcanoes.... etc..
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 01:40
    True but what I got from it was that it can be taken as a proxy of the event horizon? . And that if they heat it up they should see the radiation hawking postulated......your better at physics than me thou

I do rocks...
    And Volcanoes.... etc..
    In my opinion, saying this fiber optic stuff emulates a black hole event horizon is not consensual (to be nice). There might be an analogy somewhere, but I think people have to be more cautious in what they say.
    Scientists many times simply want to show results.
    I had to know more details of the experiment to make a better critique. But I don't know condensed matter, non linear optics or black holes to guru level to say anything for sure here...
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 12:32
    Originally posted by serigado
    From what I understood it's only a non-linear wave phenomena that simulates some black hole's characteristics. It's not a real black hole.

Adam, the soliton men, you know more about this than me.
    I think that this just what you said. The first soliton distorts the medium in a way that the second soliton is slowed down. If anythin I'd say this is a dynamic black hole approximation, From what I understood from the excerpt they have two solitons available. One slower and the other faster. First hey shoot the slower one and then the faster. Normally one would expect the faster one to catch up and at later times be ahead of the slow moving soliton. But the slower one distorts the medium where it is travelling, so this means that this a very strong nonlinear effect, and slows down the fdaster one. So when the faster one catches up it becomes tangled in the region more affected by the slower one and can't leave.

But without reading the propper article I can't tell much more. I tried to do a google search but couldn't find anything about this. 🙁
  15. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 22:25
    I think that this just what you said. The first soliton distorts the medium in a way that the second soliton is slowed down. If anythin I'd say this is a dynamic black hole approximation, From what I understood from the excerpt they have two solitons available. One slower and the other faster. First hey shoot the slower one and then the faster. Normally ...[text shortened]... an't tell much more. I tried to do a google search but couldn't find anything about this. 🙁
    Yea, and I can't find the damn thing...... Ill email my mate and get him to resend it if he can..... Although he is completely useless at replying to emails.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree