1. Australia
    Moves
    01 May '08 09:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It's not 'empty black space', it's something but so far unknown that is like neutrino's in that they penatrate everything with ease through the earth, through people, we don't even know how fast theses buggers go or their mass per particle, any of that basic stuff. So anything we learn puts us one step closer to understanding what it is we are dealing with, ...[text shortened]... s up 4 percent of the mass of the universe so we are definitely in the minority mass wise.
    So do you have high hopes for the data that will be collected from the largest neutrino detector on the planet...... currently in antarctica.

I believe its 1KM x 1KM, they have then buried thousands of detectors underneath 3km of ice. Predicted to detect 50,000 neutrinos per year (I think that was what they quoted).

Check out a recent edition of new scientist, for full details.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 May '08 19:031 edit
    Originally posted by timebombted
    So do you have high hopes for the data that will be collected from the largest neutrino detector on the planet...... currently in antarctica.

I believe its 1KM x 1KM, they have then buried thousands of detectors underneath 3km of ice. Predicted to detect 50,000 neutrinos per year (I think that was what they quoted).

Check out a recent edition of new scientist, for full details.
    I don't know 'high hopes' because neutrino's are more known than dark matter, but they have the possiblity of probing inside the sun and such. One thing that suprised me about neutrino's is inside the sun, I had thought of the neutrino's as escaping just like they would on earth, from nuclear reactors, the earth would be like a one micron thick sheet of glass to light, neutrino's would get through the whole planet about as easily as light through that one micron layer of glass, but it's not the same inside the sun. The energy levels and density apparently can slow down neutrinos considerably inside the sun.
    BTW, I read New Sci daily and another site called Science Daily. I just posted a thread from there, about mass extinctions coming every 35 million years. Read it if you dare🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree