1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 20:16
    If the question is to find f(6) or F'(6), then you are correct. If the question is to find f'(6), then I'm correct.

Remember that a is a constant. If F'(6) equals a constant, then F''(6) = 0.
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 20:591 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If the question is to find f(6) or F'(6), then you are correct. If the question is to find f'(6), then I'm correct.

Remember that a is a constant. If F'(6) equals a constant, then F''(6) = 0.
    Ah!!! Yes of course you are correct! I was thinking in general terms. All this time I was asking: "Why does he think that the second derivative of a function must be 0?" and wasn't thinking in the particular function we have in mind.

F'(6)=a=f(6) and so f'(6)=F''(6)=a'=0.

Sorry for the confusion.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 21:441 edit
    It is only second derivatives of functions defined in this way that are zero, at least the second derivatives at specific numbers.

Best101,

As for the limit of x/(x-1) being 0/0, the common problem is that people do not reduce before replacing h with zero. Always reduce to cancel out the h in the denominator before substituting the 0.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 22:422 edits
    It is only second derivatives of functions defined in this way that are zero, at least the second derivatives at specific numbers.

Best101,

As for the limit of x/(x-1) being 0/0, the common problem is that people do not reduce before replacing h with zero. Always reduce to cancel out the h in the denominator before substituting the 0.
    Being the case that he was stuck on using the definition lim as h approaches 0 of [f(x+h) - f(6)]/h....I'm going with Adam on this, or the more simple solution without using any integrals...I mean, a sesoned veteran of Calculus is well aware of how to use that definition..Integrals don't show up until the end of calculus 1, and this seems like a more mid term calc 1 problem
  5. Joined
    01 Dec '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 14:052 edits
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    F(x+h)-F(x)=(x+h)/(x+h-1)-x/(x-1)=[(x+h)(x-1)-x(x+h-1)]/[(x+h-1)(x-1)]=
    =(x^2-x+hx-h-x^2-xh+x)/[(x+h-1)(x-1)]=-h/[(x+h-1)(x-1)]=

Now [F(x+h)-F(x)]/h=-1/[(x+h-1)(x-1)]

And taking the limit as h go to 0 we are left with F'(x)=-1/(x-1)^2
    Thanks. This stuff makes Algebra look like nothing.

@joe shmo: Btw I'm just started Ap Calculus about a month and a half ago in High School.

Edit: Is there a difference b/w F(x) and f(x)? I didn't think it mattered.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 14:12
    Yes, there is a very big difference between F(x) and f(x). f(x) is the derivative of F(x).
  7. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 16:281 edit
    Originally posted by Best101
    Thanks. This stuff makes Algebra look like nothing.

@joe shmo: Btw I'm just started Ap Calculus about a month and a half ago in High School.

Edit: Is there a difference b/w F(x) and f(x)? I didn't think it mattered.
    As Eladar said, yes.

There are many different types of notation and it is important that you understand the notatin you are using. Some people use short cuts as well. Say, you are mutliplying two functions h(x) = f(x) * g(x). You might see someone write it out as h(x) = fg or even h = fg.

You may see differentials noted as df/dx instead of f'(x) as well.

Don't get too hung up on things having to be in a particular notation. It is important that you understand what the notation represents though.
  8. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 06:401 edit
    Yes, there is a very big difference between F(x) and f(x). f(x) is the derivative of F(x).
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 14:46
    Originally posted by flexmore
    I think what Flexmore was trying to say was........😀
  10. Joined
    01 Dec '07
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 14:02
    I think I need to get out of Calculus, cause this stuff just doesn't make any sense.

Can anyone answer this one. Also do you think this is an appropiate test question for someone who just started Calculus about a month ago?

Q: Find the x coordinates of all the points on the curve x^1/2 + 1/2x^2, besides x=1, at which the slope of the tangent line equals 3/2.

You don't have to answer it if you don't want to because know how annoying it could be to type numbers on a computer.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 14:09
    Originally posted by Best101
    I think I need to get out of Calculus, cause this stuff just doesn't make any sense.

Can anyone answer this one. Also do you think this is an appropiate test question for someone who just started Calculus about a month ago?

Q: Find the x coordinates of all the points on the curve x^1/2 + 1/2x^2, besides x=1, at which the slope of the tangent line equa ...[text shortened]... it if you don't want to because know how annoying it could be to type numbers on a computer.
    Just think about what the slop of a curve at a given point as to do with its derivative and this exercise is piece of cake.

Also do you think this is an appropiate test question for someone who just started Calculus about a month ago?
    I think that you need to study a little bit harder
  12. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 15:04
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Just think about what the slop of a curve at a given point as to do with its derivative and this exercise is piece of cake.

[b]Also do you think this is an appropiate test question for someone who just started Calculus about a month ago?

I think that you need to study a little bit harder[/b]
    It's actually quite cleverly worded, I think. A good example problem, and slightly more difficult that the standard grinder.

Since the slope is just the first derivative of the function, we start there:

y = x^(1/2) + (1/2)x^2

y' = (1/2)x^(-1/2) + x

Now we're looking for slopes equal to 3/2, so we let y' = 3/2:

3/2 = (1/2)x^(-1/2) + x

Multiplying by 2 to clear fractions, and grouping irrationals on one side:

2x - 3 = x^(-1/2)

Since the original function included a square root, we know that x is strictly greater than or equal to 0, so there's no problem with squaring both sides to clear the square root:

4x^2 - 12x + 9 = 1/x

Multiplying through by x and grouping all terms on one side:

4x^3 - 12x^2 + 9x - 1 = 0

Now we know that x = 1 is a solution to the above equation, because it's given in the problem statement. After factoring out (x - 1) using long division, we have:

(x - 1)(4x^2 - 8x + 1) = 0

So x = 1, or (4x^2 - 8x + 1) = 0. Solving this quadratic for x, we get:

x = (2 +/- SQRT(3))/2

Plugging these two solutions back into the original equation y' = (1/2)x^(-1/2) + x, we find that (2 - SQRT(3))/2 works, but (2 + SQRT(3))/2 doesn't. Therefore, the answer is (2 - SQRT(3))/2.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 17:38
    Originally posted by PBE6
    It's actually quite cleverly worded, I think. A good example problem, and slightly more difficult that the standard grinder.

Since the slope is just the first derivative of the function, we start there:

y = x^(1/2) + (1/2)x^2

y' = (1/2)x^(-1/2) + x

Now we're looking for slopes equal to 3/2, so we let y' = 3/2:

3/2 = (1/2)x^(-1/2) + x

Multiply ...[text shortened]... QRT(3))/2 works, but (2 + SQRT(3))/2 doesn't. Therefore, the answer is (2 - SQRT(3))/2.
    If my fist was travelling at mach 1.5 on an inverse tangental plane perpendicular to your face at a distance of 1 metre, what would be the expected kip force upon impact?
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 17:46
    Originally posted by PBE6
    lightly more difficult that the standard grinder.
    Agreed. But still...
  15. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 17:55
    Originally posted by uzless
    If my fist was travelling at mach 1.5 on an inverse tangental plane perpendicular to your face at a distance of 1 metre, what would be the expected kip force upon impact?
    Cleverly worded! Assuming a mass of approximately 0.5 kg, a temperature of 15 C and sea-level pressure, the total momentum of your hand would be:

P = m*v = (0.5 kg)*(340.3 m/s x 1.5) = 255.2 kg*m/s

Also, assuming that your fist is uniformly decelerated into my face from its initial velocity to a dead stop over a period of 0.1 s, the total force would be:

F = dP/dt = (255.2 kg*m/s) / (0.1 s) = 2552 N

Since one pound-force is equal to 4.44822 N, one kip is equal to 4448.22 N. Converting, we have:

F = 2552 N * (1 kip / 4448.22 N) = 0.5738 kip = 0.6 kip

😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree