1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    08 Aug '12 21:03
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-07-gene-permanently-cancer-cell-proliferation.html#ajTabs

    Looks like a real breakthrough!
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2441
    09 Aug '12 20:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-07-gene-permanently-cancer-cell-proliferation.html#ajTabs

    Looks like a real breakthrough!
    I often wonder where these sensational breakthroughs disappear to. Some wonderful new technique is found to cure some ailment or another in, say, 1985, and then there's not a peep about it for the next quarter of a century.
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    09 Aug '12 20:28
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I often wonder where these sensational breakthroughs disappear to. Some wonderful new technique is found to cure some ailment or another in, say, 1985, and then there's not a peep about it for the next quarter of a century.
    Oftentimes they get bogged down in government regulations. I have a friend who devoted his life to working on immortality. He said the government was really slow to approve new drugs, every step of the way, years and years for each new step in the research.
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    09 Aug '12 20:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Oftentimes they get bogged down in government regulations. I have a friend who devoted his life to working on immortality. He said the government was really slow to approve new drugs, every step of the way, years and years for each new step in the research.
    You don't need government approval for research. Only for actually using the drugs on people. If he was trying to make money out of it to fund the next project then you might have a case.
  5. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    09 Aug '12 20:55
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I often wonder where these sensational breakthroughs disappear to. Some wonderful new technique is found to cure some ailment or another in, say, 1985, and then there's not a peep about it for the next quarter of a century.
    Some of them are so successful that you forget that they exist. Vaccines against deadly diseases are like that.
    But a large part of it is the way News has a strong bias on reporting the negatives and our minds work that way to some extent too.
    I guess the biggest news in my life time is AIDS medications and those have been developed gradually over time and transformed an imminent death sentence into a near manageable disease.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    316726
    10 Aug '12 01:17
    Anyone who's been through the cancer mill - and I have, twice - knows that improvements in cancer treatment are filtering through to the patients all the time at a rapid rate. They just don't get the publicity that the initial discovery got. When it comes to "terminal" diseases the FDA doesn't slow things down half as much as they do when it's something like a diuretic or appetite suppressant.
  7. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    10 Aug '12 05:261 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You don't need government approval for research. Only for actually using the drugs on people. If he was trying to make money out of it to fund the next project then you might have a case.
    He wanted to research on people.

    I'm surprised you, an African, know so much about US pharmaceudical laws.
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    10 Aug '12 06:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    He wanted to research on people.

    I'm surprised you, an African, know so much about US pharmaceudical laws.
    I know very little about US pharmaceutical laws. But most Americans know very little too. How much you know about such things depends on what you read or who you know much more than what country you live in.
    There are good reasons for strict laws regarding research on people there is a well known a history of abuse.
    I believe a lot of ageing research can be carried out on other animals similar to us, though I realise that there is sometimes no substitute to human 'guinea pigs'.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    12 Aug '12 01:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I know very little about US pharmaceutical laws. But most Americans know very little too. How much you know about such things depends on what you read or who you know much more than what country you live in.
    There are good reasons for strict laws regarding research on people there is a well known a history of abuse.
    I believe a lot of ageing research ca ...[text shortened]... similar to us, though I realise that there is sometimes no substitute to human 'guinea pigs'.
    You do know this op is about genes not drugs, right?
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    12 Aug '12 19:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You do know this op is about genes not drugs, right?
    You need some tool to manipulated genes. Whether chemicals, viruses or whatever, you need government approval before they'll let you start screwing with peoples' DNA.
  11. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    12 Aug '12 19:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You do know this op is about genes not drugs, right?
    Yes, I was responding to AThousandYoungs post (which was about drugs).
Back to Top