1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 13:55
    http://phys.org/news/2016-09-china-world-largest-radio-telescope.html

Twice the sensitivity of the 300 meter Arecibo scope in Puerto Rico and better resolution.

We will see what it discovers.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 15:38
    I wonder how it compares to the SKA. The SKA has the advantage of being able to turn the dishes. I believe fixed dish telescopes can achieve some movement by moving the antenna, but I would expect that would affect the focus.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 17:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I wonder how it compares to the SKA. The SKA has the advantage of being able to turn the dishes. I believe fixed dish telescopes can achieve some movement by moving the antenna, but I would expect that would affect the focus.
    Moving the pickup antenna doesn't effect focus because the dish net is circular. That lowers the effective collection area but means you can move the antenna around with no loss of focus. A parabolic dish would have more gain and resolution but you would have very little motion available for the antenna collectors since the parabolic dish focuses on one point. So a circular dish combined with moving antenna partially solves that problem. The left over is the antenna only has about 15 degrees of freedom but that is enough for most studies.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 21:481 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree