Science Forum

Science Forum

1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 22:33
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/carolina-araujo-is-building-a-network-of-women-in-mathematics-20190122/
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 23:132 edits
    @sonhouse said
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/carolina-araujo-is-building-a-network-of-women-in-mathematics-20190122/
    Carolina Araujo said:
    "Then I started to understand, little by little, by talking to students and to other
    female mathematicians, that for many of them the environment is more than
    unfriendly, it’s hostile and aggressive. There’s wild competition, harassment,
    implicit and explicit bias, and we have to prove ourselves all the time."

There are arrogant men who refuse to accept that they can be wrong while a woman's right.
    That said, mathematics is very competitive for everyone, regardless of gender.

"Many women, very talented women, were leaving mathematics. Many of them
    had to make this choice. For some women it is easier to deal with this environment;
    for others it is emotionally very costly. I think it is such a pity that we do lose
    talents because of this hostility."

More than talent is needed to succeed. Success requires hard work and toughness.

"This is when I started to realize that it makes sense to have “women in math conferences,”
    as a way of reminding us of who we are. I remember that when I was a Ph.D. student,
    I never wore skirts or dresses; I would always wear pants. Somehow, I had to separate myself.
    There were two sides of me. There’s the woman, and there’s the mathematician.
    And I don’t think this is healthy."

I was advised not to wear a dress because it could be too distracting for the men around me.
    (Would my sleek legs be more interesting than a triangle's?)
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 00:06
    @Duchess64
    I can't imagine someone like Erdos being distracted by ANYTHING😉
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 01:06
    @sonhouse said
    @Duchess64
    I can't imagine someone like Erdos being distracted by ANYTHING😉
    Most mathematicians are not as single-minded as Paul Erdos.
    I have overheard some male professors chat about which of their female students are most attractive.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 02:35
    @Duchess64
    I can believe that. Erdos was a bit, er, eccentric. Still a genius....
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 03:14
    @sonhouse said
    @Duchess64
    I can believe that. Erdos was a bit, er, eccentric. Still a genius....
    "He [Paul Erdos] had a close relationship with his mother, with the two of them
    allegedly sharing the same bed until he left for college.[12]"

Apparently, Paul Erdos was close to only one woman, his mother, in his entire life.
    He presumably was a virgin when he died.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 21:44
    @duchess64 said

Apparently, Paul Erdos was close to only one woman, his mother, in his entire life.
    I forgot to mention that the quotation comes from the Wikipedia article on Paul Erdos.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 21:46
    @duchess64 said

Don't be such a disgusting creep. If a man posted something even remotely as crawlily speculative about a female scientist's private life, you'd drop your sexism on him like a ton of irate bricks.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 21:571 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    Don't be such a disgusting creep. If a man posted something even remotely as crawlily speculative about a female scientist's private life, you'd drop your sexism on him like a ton of irate bricks.
    Shallow Blue shows his usual abysmal ignorance and fierce prejudices.

Shallow Blue evidently knows nothing about Paul Erdos. It's far from 'speculative'
    to note (as all his friends did) that Paul Erdos evidently never had anything close
    to approaching a romantic relationship with any woman. He always showed extreme
    shyness toward women in any romantic sense. Is it possible that Paul Erdos might
    once have had an experimental sexual encounter with a prostitute, and no else
    knows about it? THAT would be speculative; the KNOWN facts of his life are not.

I would add that it's NOT unusual for biographers to write about their subjects' personal lives.
    As I recall, scholars have written that Isaac Newton almost certainly was a virgin when he died.

Contrary to Shallow Blue's absurd accusation of sexism, it's common for biographers
    (including men) to discuss (and draw conclusions) about famous women's sex lives.
    For instance: Was Eleanor Roosevelt a lesbian? Did she have an affair with her bodyguard?
    It's generally assumed that Emmy Noether (the greatest woman mathematician)
    was a virgin when she died.

After a person dies, every aspect of that person's life is considered 'fair game' for biographers.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 09:42
    @duchess64 said
    Shallow Blue shows
    Shallow Blue evidently
    Shallow Blue's absurd
    I'm not playing your infantile games. If you want to be approached as an honourable person, behave as one.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 19:57
    @shallow-blue said
    I'm not playing your infantile games. If you want to be approached as an honourable person, behave as one.
    As usual, the troll Shallow Blue hurls insults or lies rather than concede his blatant errors.

Again, after a person has died, every aspect of one's life is considered 'fair game' for biographers.
    Shallow Blue has shown that he's ignorant of that well-known reality.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 01:04
    @Shallow-Blue
    Why is that disgusting? She didn't say that, the biographer said that. Seems out of character for you.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 01:381 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Shallow-Blue
    Why is that disgusting? She didn't say that, the biographer said that. Seems out of character for you.
    The troll Shallow Blue just jumped at another opportunity to attack me, as he often does.

I doubt that Paul Erdos, being dead, can be hurt by anyone writing about his personal life.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 01:51
    @Duchess64
    Well the first half of his name is indicative, perhaps.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 20:52
    @duchess64 said
    As usual, the troll Shallow Blue
    Shallow Blue has shown
    I'm not playing your and sonhouse's schoolboy games. If you want to talk about adults, talk like an adult.