1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '14 14:04
    http://www.examiner.com/article/mystery-signal-from-rosetta-comet-confirmed-by-european-space-agency

We are about to land on the first comet in human history.

Oh, and there is some strange low frequency song coming from the said comet.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '14 14:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.examiner.com/article/mystery-signal-from-rosetta-comet-confirmed-by-european-space-agency

Oh, and there is some strange low frequency song coming from the said comet.
    I just hope they don't find out the hard way the whole comet has some kind of static charge.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Nov '14 15:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I just hope they don't find out the hard way the whole comet has some kind of static charge.
    Why not? That would be an amazing discovery.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '14 15:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why not? That would be an amazing discovery.
    Yes but not if it destroyed the lander. Anyway, it's fingerbiting time right now. We should know pass or fail in less than an hour, its 10:52 AM EST.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '14 17:22
    Yes but not if it destroyed the lander. Anyway, it's fingerbiting time right now. We should know pass or fail in less than an hour, its 10:52 AM EST.
    So, the Eagle has landed. Now we will see if it still works!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Nov '14 04:59
    With the warning that this is not from an official source, here is a purported photo from the surface.

http://www.universetoday.com/116254/philae-sends-first-photo-from-the-comets-surface/
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Nov '14 16:14
    This seems to be more official than the one linked by me above, suggesting that the previous one was fake.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/philae-lander-sends-back-first-ever-image-from-comet-surface/ar-BBdttqv?ocid=DELLDHP

To my eye that looks like rock, not ice.

They were hoping for a view "to the horizon" but seem to be getting just a very short line of sight.

I wonder if slender rods extended by solenoids in a variety of directions from the lander would have been able to make it move around to different places/vantages? They could be almost like needles and still be stiff enough to lift the lander, given the microgravity.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '14 22:081 edit
    So, the Eagle has landed. Now we will see if it still works!
    It landed on a rather small object some 317 million miles away traveling thousands of miles an hour.

Amazing.

That reminds me, does Obama have his health care web site up and working properly yet? 😛
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 01:001 edit
    It landed on a rather small object some 317 million miles away traveling thousands of miles an hour.

Amazing.

That reminds me, does Obama have his health care web site up and working properly yet? 😛
    Of course not. All you conservatives have made sure that funds to NASA and all research in the US has been cut so the 1% can buy another tropical island. Many US citizens chock full of brains and ambition to do research have fled for more friendly industrialized countries both north of the US border and across the pond.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 09:06

We?

As somebody who normally speaks for a narrow section of US society that is a bit rich!
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 13:00
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Of course not. All you conservatives have made sure that funds to NASA and all research in the US has been cut so the 1% can buy another tropical island. Many US citizens chock full of brains and ambition to do research have fled for more friendly industrialized countries both north of the US border and across the pond.
    Rumor has it they landed some cargo on the comet placed there by Obama.

Apparently it is golf clubs and golf balls for his peeps on planet Marx.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 13:08
    Rumor has it they landed some cargo on the comet placed there by Obama.

Apparently it is golf clubs and golf balls for his peeps on planet Marx.
    You're a broken, and unfunny, record. Is it actually possible for you to post in a thread without mentioning Obama whodey?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 14:44
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    You're a broken, and unfunny, record. Is it actually possible for you to post in a thread without mentioning Obama whodey?
    Who is Obama Whodey?
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 14:551 edit
    Who is Obama Whodey?
    That post goes into the 'unfunny' tickbox
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 15:52
    Who is Obama Whodey?
    I met him the other day. He is a sort of cross between Obama and Whodey.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree