1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    14 Jan '15 11:38
    Now it is possible to make circuit boards with wiring using 3D printers:

    http://www.business-standard.com/article/beyond-business/electrified-plastic-for-printers-114120501223_1.html
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6873
    15 Jan '15 11:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Now it is possible to make circuit boards with wiring using 3D printers:

    http://www.business-standard.com/article/beyond-business/electrified-plastic-for-printers-114120501223_1.html
    Interesting. It remains to be seen how reliable it is, and whether it conducts as well as traditional materials. But then again, those may not be as critical as in mass production. If you want to print your own circuit board for, say, your private home security project, you can afford to print one or two extra, and its computation speed isn't going to be critical; building it just the way you want it is. It'll be interesting to see how this gets used.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    731
    16 Jan '15 20:01
    If some place like the surface of Mars has useful raw materials, it would be spiffy to send a 3D printer there and have it build a habitat for future human colonists.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    18 Jan '15 01:19
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    If some place like the surface of Mars has useful raw materials, it would be spiffy to send a 3D printer there and have it build a habitat for future human colonists.
    They already sent one to the ISS.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    18 Jan '15 19:3910 edits
    I programmed a 3D printer to use local soil as a raw material to perpetually print identical 3D printers to itself complete with a copy of the same program to print more. They are now billions of them in my back yard multiplying out of control and now they are spreading like a cancer all over the place far beyond my back yard and they just keep on spreading.
    They are already mutating (their program ) and evolving; fulling every niche and becoming ever more adapted and efficient at reproduction.
    Some have evolved to hitch a ride on ships and aircraft as stowaways.
    Nothing can stop them now.
    We are all going to die.
    I apologize for that -didn't think that one through.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    731
    19 Jan '15 00:26
    Originally posted by humy
    I programmed a 3D printer to use local soil as a raw material to perpetually print identical 3D printers to itself complete with a copy of the same program to print more. They are now billions of them in my back yard multiplying out of control and now they are spreading like a cancer all over the place far beyond my back yard and they just keep on spreading.
    ...[text shortened]... stop them now.
    We are all going to die.
    I apologize for that -didn't think that one through.
    I wish you had done it on Mars instead. 😠
Back to Top