1. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    13 Jun '09 19:341 edit
    I know windows doesn't delete a file but marks it to be written over (at least i think that's what happens) and there's plenty of programs to recover the files unless windows has already written over them. Ive tried them before and 90% of the files are unreadable so why are there the likes of NAVSO P-5239-26 and the Gutman method surely data can't be recovered intact if its been written over a few times never mind 35!
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 13:28
    Originally posted by leestatic
    I know windows doesn't delete a file but marks it to be written over (at least i think that's what happens) and there's plenty of programs to recover the files unless windows has already written over them. Ive tried them before and 90% of the files are unreadable so why are there the likes of NAVSO P-5239-26 and the Gutman method surely data can't be recovered intact if its been written over a few times never mind 35!
    That you can't do it doesn't mean that the NSA, or their counterparts in other countries, can't. Gutman may have exaggerated with his 35 times, but just a few overwrites isn't enough if your data is wanted by the Black Ops guys.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree