different power source

different power source

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
That only applies at the power plant or in this case the processing plant. If the resulting fuel is used in vehicles there is no known method for stopping the CO2 from being released into the air.
However, as I said, the use of hybrid technology would at least reduce the amount of CO2 released.

The popular belief that we must completely stop releasing ways to cool the earth down - eg release dust into the upper atmosphere, paint rocks white etc
I would not be suprised to see a development of portable CO2 sequestering for cars and trucks. You figure, the actual weight of the CO2 will be somewhat less than the mass of the gasoline or diesel fuel, so it's conceivable it could be stored in the car, another fuel tank specifically for the job, then collected after each fillup. That's just an opinion, have not seen anything like it but it's not out of the realm of what's possible. Suppose the fate of the planet was hanging on the development of such a device, how long do you think it would take before it became a fact?
There are also plans afoot to actively cool down the earth by launching thousands of mirrors into earth orbit to reflect incoming sunlight, you would only need to stop less than a percent to make a big difference.
During the days following 9-11, passenger jets were grounded for a day or two. That turned out to be a boon for atmospheric scientists, they measured a percent or two of INCREASED sunlight due to there being no contrails above the US for that time. So it might be possible to add to the cooling effect in the atmosphere too. A couple of big volcanos would do the job nicely🙂

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
I would not be suprised to see a development of portable CO2 sequestering for cars and trucks. You figure, the actual weight of the CO2 will be somewhat less than the mass of the gasoline or diesel fuel, so it's conceivable it could be stored in the car, another fuel tank specifically for the job, then collected after each fillup. That's just an opinion, ha ...[text shortened]... e development of such a device, how long do you think it would take before it became a fact?
As far as I know, the power derived from burning fuel is based on the expansion resulting in the conversion from liquid to gas. I suspect that if the CO2 was re-compressed into liquid or solid form it would take as much energy as was being released thus resulting in zero power output.

That is why CO2 sequestering at power plants is done by pumping the uncompressed gas underground not by simply compressing it into solid form and storing it in tanks.

There are also plans afoot to actively cool down the earth by launching thousands of mirrors into earth orbit to reflect incoming sunlight, you would only need to stop less than a percent to make a big difference.
You mean somebodies idea - not "plans afoot". I doubt that anyone is actually spending any money on such a ridiculous idea. It is so much more economical to put dust in the atmosphere or use other solutions.

So it might be possible to add to the cooling effect in the atmosphere too. A couple of big volcanos would do the job nicely🙂
I'm sure that would work, the only worry is what side effects there might be. Jet exhaust for example also causes global warming.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Apr 08

As far as I know, the power derived from burning fuel is based on the expansion resulting in the conversion from liquid to gas. I suspect that if the CO2 was re-compressed into liquid or solid form it would take as much energy as was being released thus resulting in zero power output.

That is why CO2 sequestering at power plants is done by pumping the ...[text shortened]... orry is what side effects there might be. Jet exhaust for example also causes global warming.
So jet exhaust is a two edged sword, the white contrails cutting light hitting the ground and the organics spewing out the back to add to greenhouse gasses. I just saw a Pop Science cover of the first hydrogen powered jet. With that you would have your cake and eat it too. No organics coming out the exhaust but still spewing out clouds of water that would probably make a contrail like regular jets and cut down heat coming into the atmosphere. Or not🙂

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 08

So jet exhaust is a two edged sword, the white contrails cutting light hitting the ground and the organics spewing out the back to add to greenhouse gasses. I just saw a Pop Science cover of the first hydrogen powered jet. With that you would have your cake and eat it too. No organics coming out the exhaust but still spewing out clouds of water that would probably make a contrail like regular jets and cut down heat coming into the atmosphere. Or not🙂
My favorite idea for stopping global warming is the one of feeding cows with a special bacteria that reduces the amount of methane in their farts. Cow farts is one of the major contributions to global warming.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Apr 08

My favorite idea for stopping global warming is the one of feeding cows with a special bacteria that reduces the amount of methane in their farts. Cow farts is one of the major contributions to global warming.
'course we could just not eat cows anymore, so we won't need to grow so many of them, stop the methane at its source.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 08

'course we could just not eat cows anymore, so we won't need to grow so many of them, stop the methane at its source.
It would be interesting to do the stats. How many kms of driving equals one kg of beef. If we eat chicken or go vegetarian, we can drive more 🙂

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
23 Apr 08

i have a secret design for a simple device that would be clamped in place, it comprises a small methane detector triggered lighter. do you know how i would go about raising funding for research and development?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 08

Originally posted by ysterbaard
Do you think that the development of ANY other power source than oil, eg. Solar, Wind, Nuclear, Whatever comes to mind, have been deliberately sidetracked/delayed/hidden or sabotaged by the oil cartells or the oil industry at large?

Because I cannot believe that the human race isn't capable of developing a new technology other than burning million year ...[text shortened]... eposits. In this day and age.... isn't it strange? or is the something I don't understand....
Yes, but they don't have THAT much power. There are other forces supporting such technologies.

You are incredulous that nobody's done better yet, but have you? Simple faith in human ingenuity is nice but it isn't evidence of corruption and shadowy economic battles.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 08

Originally posted by eamon o
i have a secret design for a simple device that would be clamped in place, it comprises a small methane detector triggered lighter. do you know how i would go about raising funding for research and development?
Try clamping it to investors.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by eamon o
Post a video on youtube and you will get lots of views is nothing else.

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
24 Apr 08

Post a video on youtube and you will get lots of views is nothing else.
View are all very well but I need some funding to develop the prototype and test it on a small herd initially. Come on guys, lets have a collection in a good cause.......................How much are you willing to promise to help save the planet?

d

Moves
03 May 08

Do you think that the development of ANY other power source than oil, eg. Solar, Wind, Nuclear, Whatever comes to mind, have been deliberately sidetracked/delayed/hidden or sabotaged by the oil cartells or the oil industry at large?

Because I cannot believe that the human race isn't capable of developing a new technology other than burning million year ...[text shortened]... eposits. In this day and age.... isn't it strange? or is the something I don't understand....
Why don't you go to engineering school and show us how easy it is to create power from nothing. If not, then let the engineers work on it.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
05 May 08
3 edits

Have you heard of a "patent troll"? they buy a patent with no intention of every using it.

I heard of the idea years ago ... but are there any real solid examples in the energy development world viewed with hindsight?

F

Moves
05 May 08

If I make an invention and take it to patent registration, then it is official. Everyone who want to read it can read it. However, he cannot produce anything that is described in the patent without my permission.

If someone buy the patent from me, he can if he pays what I want. But it is still official. Then he can do whatever he wants with the patent, even throw it away, but the patent is still there open to everyone who want to read it.

A patent cannot ever be a secret. A non-patented invention, can.

(I hope I get this right.)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 May 08

That is why CO2 sequestering at power plants is done by pumping the ...[text shortened]... orry is what side effects there might be. Jet exhaust for example also causes global warming.
I just read a report, sorry, don't have a link, that surmised if we actually did launch thousands or millions of mirrors in orbit, it would end up destroying the ozone layer, not sure how but that was the conclusion and even if they are only partly right, that technique is out the window. It's obvious it could be done, just like launching anti-radar chaff to protect a fighter jet but at orbital distance. If it even partially destroys the ozone layer, the idea would die before it got off the ground. Back to the drawing board🙁