1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Jul '11 20:59
    My friend has a pleasant home on a hill in the city that has plenty of open woodland and stuff around, including his small yard.

His cats are not permitted inside unsupervised because they poop on stuff, so they get fed outside.

Unfortunately for these wonderful cats, there is a interspecies couple that has decided to live in the yard, and like to chase the two cats away and eat their food, side by side, all romantic and cute but annoying. They are a skunk and a racoon.

Now, when there are humans present, the animals can be chased off. Hose used with first person shooter skills beats skunk, even when it decides to challenge the human.

But what about when there aren't?

What kind of dogs would you use to do battle with the skunk? A pack of terriers? A giant mastiff? What canine or pack of small canines (it's a small yard) can challenge the might of the skunk's chemical arsenal?
  2. Wat?
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 05:01
    As far as I know there isn't one. Skunk-related shock and anemia can kill all breeds of dog.

Just trap it and drown the geezer!

😉

-m.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 06:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    But what about when there aren't?
    Get creative. Design a small cage with a door that only the cats can fit through and put the food in it. No available food around, no more unwanted guests.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 12:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Get creative. Design a small cage with a door that only the cats can fit through and put the food in it. No available food around, no more unwanted guests.
    Nah, they would just TP the house🙂
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 19:25
    Read 'dag vs skank' -- damn astigmatism ...
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 21:201 edit
    Well the easy solution of course is just to put a .22 in it. But we're trying not to kill off what little wildlife we have.

Or, catch it in some kind of cage or something with plastic over it so it can't spray and remove it...etc.

But I am fascinated by dog breeds these days. Sure, if you have problems with rats, you can get a cat...but they also have bred terriers for that job, and the terriers have the advantages of being more trainable and better diggers.

What about a wrinkly-faced dog or a sheepdog or something?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 21:21
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Read 'dag vs skank' -- damn astigmatism ...
    No skunks in South Africa. Racoons either. Those are ours 🙂

You people have scary stuff like lions and hyenas and elephants and hippos.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 21:22
    Skunks are cat sized.
  9. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 19:43
    You know nothing about how ingenious and or resourceful a raccoon is.
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 19:46
    My friend has a pleasant home on a hill in the city that has plenty of open woodland and stuff around, including his small yard.

His cats are not permitted inside unsupervised because they poop on stuff, so they get fed outside.

Unfortunately for these wonderful cats, there is a interspecies couple that has decided to live in the yard, and like ...[text shortened]... of small canines (it's a small yard) can challenge the might of the skunk's chemical arsenal?
    Be careful what you do Eugene. Skunks and raccoons are protected by law.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 20:19
    Skunks are cat sized.
    I thought they were slightly larger, but never having seen one, I wouldn't know.

If they are unwanted pests then trap them and relocate them. If they are wanted but bothering the cats then feed them in separate places.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jul '11 19:192 edits
    I thought they were slightly larger, but never having seen one, I wouldn't know.

If they are unwanted pests then trap them and relocate them. If they are wanted but bothering the cats then feed them in separate places.
    Clips of cats, skunks, dogs and racoons.

YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jul '11 20:32
    Clips of cats, skunks, dogs and racoons.
    The racoons look biggest. I see the skunks are about the size of a smallish cat.

Maybe he needs to just get some house trained cats so they can eat indoors, but then he might end up with skunks and raccoons indoors that way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree