1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 21:115 edits
    This looks like the most promising new technology yet for cheap economic storage system for storing electricity off-the-grid so to compensate for renewables being fickle.
    It would making off-the-grid energy storage for one or two days worth of energy for the whole of the electric grid cost effective and thus remove one of the biggest obstacles to making renewables totally replace fossil fuels.

This should not take many years to develop and, once developed, permanently and completely debunk forever one of the main and most commonly cited criticisms of using renewables. This, combined with the fact that the price of solar panels will surely go down in the next few years while their energy efficiency will increase to the point that solar would become always more cost effective than fossil fuels virtually everywhere in the world, would mean the excuses for not going renewable are rapidly running out of places to hide.

http://phys.org/news/2014-01-mega-battery-breakthrough-renewable-energy.html
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 00:08
    Originally posted by humy
    This looks like the most promising new technology yet for cheap economic storage system for storing electricity off-the-grid so to compensate for renewables being fickle.
    It would making off-the-grid energy storage for one or two days worth of energy for the whole of the electric grid cost effective and thus remove one of the biggest obstacles to making renewa ...[text shortened]... places to hide.

Yeah, I read that. Sounds like a great idea, kind of like having gasoline in a tank for your energy storage but you can't renew gasoline very well🙂
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 00:21
    Originally posted by humy
    It would making off-the-grid energy storage for one or two days worth of energy for the whole of the electric grid cost effective and thus remove one of the biggest obstacles to making renewa ...[text shortened]... places to hide.

I'm going to read this article with interest...

But if this works out it will SOLVE and not debunk the problem with renewables being fickle.

Debunking implies that there wasn't a problem, whereas this is a proposed solution to the problem.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 09:09
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I'm going to read this article with interest...

But if this works out it will SOLVE and not debunk the problem with renewables being fickle.

Debunking implies that there wasn't a problem, whereas this is a proposed solution to the problem.
    good point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree